Mixing track vendors

EngaugeAndGo

Is it okay to mix track from different vendors? Or do I need to stick with one, say Bachmann. I've designed my N-scale with Bachmann (using AnyRail), but discovered Bachmann doesn't have a curved turnout. But Atlas does. So can I mix and match? And code. I'm guessing you can't mix and match say Atlas code 80 with 55. (I don't even know exactly what "code" refers to, just sounds like it shouldn't be mixed, or else why would there be different codes!)

Simple answer is yes you can mix and match. That is unless the track has the attached roadbed like Kato Unitrack or Bachmann E-Z Track. You cannot mix codes unless you have a way to transition.
Code is the height of the rails in decimal inches. Code 55 is .055" tall, while code 80 is .080" tall.

I believe Atlas flex track Codes 100 and 83 are meant to meet at the top bearing surface just for this reason. The Code 83 rails are not as tall as the Code 100's, but the tie thickness makes up the difference so that, if people need to mix them, they'll meet on properly laid roadbed.

Otherwise, it's a lot more bother. When I have to mix track makes, even different heights, I use 'universal joiners' and solder them so that the bearing surface meet at grade. Or, I'll used 'adaptor' joiners and hope they work. I have found it faster and easier to rely on ballast under the ties and a soldered universal joiner to work most quickly and expeditiously.

I believe Atlas flex track Codes 100 and 83 are meant to meet at the top bearing surface just for this reason. The Code 83 rails are not as tall as the Code 100's, but the tie thickness makes up the difference so that, if people need to mix them, they'll meet on properly laid roadbed.
I don't know if that same thing applies to the Atlas N-gauge code 80 and 55 flex track. One can always match rail height by using shims under the ties to bring the two rail heights together. It will require a modification of the rail joiner though.

Last edited:

Back