Maybe a dumb question but

dekker

will a engine that has a dcc decoder already installed work with a dc power pack/system or do I have to get a dcc system to get it to run? Thanks

The only dumb question is the one the other guy asks.

Some will, some won't. Some require a jumper and some just lose their smoke. If a decoder loses it's smoke it won't work so make sure you keep it in.

The short answer is we need to know the mfr and number of the decoder --or at least the mfr and model of the engine.

That is so. Generally, very generally, the earlier the decoder (pre-2005?), the less likely it is to be a dual mode decoder that can sense what type of power it is getting from the track. For example, the QSI's and Tsunamis sense DC and DCC power, so they will switch to that mode automatically unless you change CV 29's factory default. But a plain old Soundtraxx DSD100LC is not able to take DC power, and that is when the magic smoke erupts from the decoder and dissipates as you reach for the phone to order a new one. :p

dcc

I am not sure what decoder it has. I do not even have the engine yet. It is an Athearn GP38-2 and I believe that it is an older model. Should I even put it on the tracks? I am going to switch to DCC in a few months and I do not want to "smoke" the decoder. I guess the thing I should do is wait until it shows up and come back in here and post the style and number of the decoder. Thanks!

Back