Making PC board Ties

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

rreitz

Hi - I'm looking into making PC Board ties for an N scale model railroad with hand laid code 40 track. It looks like the only place that used to sell PC strips 0.031" thick no longer makes that product. FastTracks has them but way too expensive for the amount I need. So I'm looking into cutting my own from PC board blanks. Two questions:

1. Anyone know where 0.031" PC board material can be purchased? (all I seem to find is twice that thickness)

2. Do you think this Micromart product (# 84046 Chop-It), using a single edge razor blade, would be durable enough to cut thru 0.031 PC board material that would be ~3/4" wide?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

ctclibby

Ebay - search for .031 copper clad - or some variant of that.
Using a chopper for copper is probably not going to to work for ya - other than once or twice. If you have some sort of machine shop near you that has an End Shear, see what they will charge. If ya don't need many, trade for pizza?

wvg_ca

nerdlinger
ebay for the pcb, nope on using a chopper, not even going to work once ...
been there, done that , bought a six inch shear

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.