Mail Call! Railway Post Office, commonly abbreviated as RPO has rolled in!

Finally found one at a reasonable price.

Athearn Genisis GP9 with sound.
1712842566647.jpeg

1712842599626.jpeg

I couldn't resist! As of about a week ago, I didn't know this model existed (they're brand new). Then an article from Trains magazine came across my feed and caught my attention. Did a quick search online and to my surprise, an online shop that I trust had a few in stock. This is a rather rare locomotive, it's a Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 diesel hydraulic. Only 21 ever made it to the US, ordered by the Southern Pacific and Rio Grande railroads as an experiment to test the viability of hydraulic transmission locomotives. Alas, the technology didn't catch on over here. This model represents one of the early versions with a carbody-style body and cab, versus later versions with front and side walkways.

This is the first Piko locomotive I've ever owned, and it's pretty cool. Nice detail, DCC and sound, gyralite, and marker lights in multiple colors. Runs very smooth so far, including just about the tiniest low speed creep I've seen, at step one you can hardly tell it's even moving. I think I got lucky; apparently these were announced over two years ago, but I managed to get one within about a week of them hitting the shelves.

53654424785_a7cbe04edc_b.jpg

53654183913_63afb1d80c_b.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't resist! As of about a week ago, I didn't know this model existed (they're brand new). Then an article from Trains magazine came across my feed and caught my attention. Did a quick search online and to my surprise, an online shop that I trust had a few in stock. This is a rather rare locomotive, it's a Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 diesel hydraulic. Only 21 ever made it to the US, ordered by the Southern Pacific and Rio Grande railroads as an experiment to test the viability of hydraulic transmission locomotives. Alas, the technology didn't catch on over here. This model represents one of the early versions with a carbody-style body and cab, versus later versions with front and side walkways.

This is the first Piko locomotive I've ever owned, and it's pretty cool. Nice detail, DCC and sound, gyralite, and marker lights in multiple colors. Runs very smooth so far, including just about the tiniest low speed creep I've seen, at step one you can hardly tell it's even moving. I think I got lucky; apparently these were announced over two years ago, but I managed to get one within about a week of them hitting the shelves.

I may have to get one in Rio Grande.... Beautiful!

Growing up in a communist block, Piko was just about all that we could've get at the time. Although crude by todays standards, they had definitely interesting rail vehicles to chose from even back then. They are around for a long time and in the past 15 or so years really came into the top quality products together on the level of Roco, or Marklin. Have fun with that.

I didn't get it...yet, and considering that it's supposed to be shipped from the Land of China, i'm not sure if i'll get it. But being a "juice fan" i decided to get this piece via e-bay:
s-l400.jpg

This is EP2 electric locomotive of New Haven fame. The plastic copy of very expensive brass models sells for only about $28+tax. The display piece is supposedly made in 1:87 scale (H0) and according to the description it can not be motorized (we'll see about that). The original locomotives were built back in late 1920s for the New Haven mainline between railroads namesake city and New York, a distance of 70 miles. The boxcabs rode on articulated frame with wheel arrangement 2-6-2+2-6-2, or in European parlance 1C1+1C1. 10 units (if i remember correctly) served untill about 1960 and two of those even received this hideous McGinnis black/red/white scheme. Originally painted dark olive green (called hunter green by the NH railroad), with gold/yellow/dulux gold lettering, depending on the timeframe. Anyway the plan is to check dimensions when the thing arrives and to eventually motorize it and make it run. I figured if i can scratchbuild a working locomotive, i can motorize this monster contrary to the description. Here is a Wikipedia info in case anyone is interested: https://images.app.goo.gl/atKGqtYw58Pd58Ya9

I have several Piko models and each are as nice as the other. Piko has come a long way since their East Germany days. My new Piko Br.03 is an outstanding example of their engineering and attention to detail. Roco and Trix have nothing on Piko.

So had a great day off, and had several packages arrive which has kept me busy.

The Athearn RTR SD40-2 DCC sound arrived, nice loco, sounds and runs perfectly.
1714155800587.jpeg

The UP SD20ACe DCC ready locomotive I had to collect, it's already fitted with LokPilot decoder and Kadee's
I noticed that I have the same issue with Athearn and any Non Soundtrax decoders, only one ditchlight works on F1 and second ditchlight is on F2, but I still need to add it to JMRI, so it's an easy fix.
1714156083255.jpeg

Back