LVRR Class E-27 4-4-0

trainbum

Making a Lehigh Valley 4-4-0 class E-27. If you follow the History of a favorite railroad seeing their old steam locomotives studying them, becomes something you just don't notice you'r doing. You start to reasearch a particular locomotive, of a particular class. Seeing photos of the Valley Black DiamondExpree train, especially the photo taken at The Easton Station 2 or 3 days before the first run of "The Black Diamond'. You see a 4-4-0 type head ending this beautifull train consist. You see it is number 424 and read the name under the cab window James Donnelly. Yes information is starting to build up. For the Lehigh Valley Railroad acquireing "The Railway and locomotive Historical Society's" Bulletin #126 becomes necessary. It helps with photos and information on what loco you are seeing. This reasearching is a growing thing. Information leads you to other information. At my hobby shop I go towhich can in no way be called local for by this time all had closed up and few were left. The shop I am speaking of is"The Hobby Shop, at vail and market streets in Dunnelin NJ. It is still there today. A bit of a drive but worth it. Well at this shop upon telling them what iwas doing they sugested Bert Pennpacker's book "Steam power of the lehigh Valley" It added to the facts concerning the first run of the Black Diamond, like I never knew there were 4 locomotive changes so this brought the number of locos used opening day to 10. Of those listed, and all were not listed here in Bert's book. Ok I selected the class E-27 built at the S.Easton shop. These were all newly designed Camelbacks. I forget how many of this class were used on opening day. I remember 2 #424 and #5 which was The David Laury. #5 is the one I chose to place on my build. bolth loco's I list are identical to any of the 6 locomotives in the E-27 class 4-4-0C.

frank
It's a Heck of a day

LV 4-4-0c. 2a.JPG

Watching to see the progress. I have always thought that the camelbacks were "strange" looking locomotives?

P.S. Welcome to the forum as well!

Thanks for sharing. I have been digging into Antracite railroads for over a year now and even though Lehigh Valley is not my favorite, those huge Wooten fire boxes have beauty of their own. Recently I've chosen to research and model a few steam locomotives of one of Valleys neighbors; Lehigh and New England. Welcome to the forum.

Making a Lehigh Valley 4-4-0 class E-27. If you follow the History of a favorite railroad seeing their old steam locomotives studying them, becomes something you just don't notice you'r doing. You start to reasearch a particular locomotive, of a particular class. Seeing photos of the Valley Black DiamondExpree train, especially the photo taken at The Easton Station 2 or 3 days before the first run of "The Black Diamond'. You see a 4-4-0 type head ending this beautifull train consist. You see it is number 424 and read the name under the cab window James Donnelly. Yes information is starting to build up. For the Lehigh Valley Railroad acquireing "The Railway and locomotive Historical Society's" Bulletin #126 becomes necessary. It helps with photos and information on what loco you are seeing. This reasearching is a growing thing. Information leads you to other information. At my hobby shop I go towhich can in no way be called local for by this time all had closed up and few were left. The shop I am speaking of is"The Hobby Shop, at vail and market streets in Dunnelin NJ. It is still there today. A bit of a drive but worth it. Well at this shop upon telling them what iwas doing they sugested Bert Pennpacker's book "Steam power of the lehigh Valley" It added to the facts concerning the first run of the Black Diamond, like I never knew there were 4 locomotive changes so this brought the number of locos used opening day to 10. Of those listed, and all were not listed here in Bert's book. Ok I selected the class E-27 built at the S.Easton shop. These were all newly designed Camelbacks. I forget how many of this class were used on opening day. I remember 2 #424 and #5 which was The David Laury. #5 is the one I chose to place on my build. bolth loco's I list are identical to any of the 6 locomotives in the E-27 class 4-4-0C.

frank
It's a Heck of a day

View attachment 174344
I used a Rivarossi 4-4-0 frame, drivers, front pilot and 4 wheel truck. All else I scratchbuilt.
IMG_1514 Collageb.jpg
IMG_1520.JPG
Leigh Valley E-27.JPG

Back