Loconet Gone Loco

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
A few days ago I noticed my Digitrax throttle was on and off with the UR93 receiver. Checking closer I found the loconet that links the UR93 to the system is intermittent. The loconet goes through 5 UP5s before it links to the receiver.
In the troubleshooting steps, it seems there are numerous intermitent disconnects of both the UP5s and the cables. Sometimes they are good. Other times they are dead. I have traced all the way back to a LNRP which has been steady during the whole process. The cable to the first UP5 is consistently good too. No other items in the path. I find that kind of odd that 5 of them would go intermittent along with the connecting cables.

I left things alone until Thursday afternoon. When I began the trouble shooting again, things were working correctly. I couldn't find any glitch anywhere. I wiggle connections all over the layout, no disconnects.
This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts, not that I wanted a problem, but how problems crop up then just disappear again with no explanation.

I’ve only got a few up5,s but my ur93 is sporadic too.
The control can adjust speed but not the bell or horn?

Advanced consisting will create that situation, Rico. A certain address can have several locos associated with it, each one reacting to different function inputs. I use JMRI to set up consists that way so the horn and bell work only on the leader but brakes and other functions work on all the locos.

It's really not that hard to set things up using JMRI. Ya just have to look at things for a little bit. Sorta like figuring out how to open a food package. They aren't all the same but we seem to be able to handle that.
Yeah, there are some things with JMRI that they could provide a bit of instruction for and make it a bit easier to find the instructions.

I left things alone until Thursday afternoon. When I began the trouble shooting again, things were working correctly. I couldn't find any glitch anywhere. I wiggle connections all over the layout, no disconnects.
This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts, not that I wanted a problem, but how problems crop up then just disappear again with no explanation.
And the next time it happens will be in the middle of an open house or op session. Murphy's Law loves model railroaders.

A guy in our club is having problems with his Digitrax system not working. He brought his controler to the club to rule it out. Worked fine at the club so now he has some investigating to do.

Back