Locomotive Consisting

I agree with CGW121 and just use the lead engine number for the consist, but I change CV29 to be able to run the second locomotive in reverse (forward) when connected to the lead locomotive.

Greg

That's interesting. Not ever operating on layouts with helpers, I've never considered this.

On the other hand, such temporary helpers were actually independently manned by the helper crew, so I think most would just have the helper crew control the pushing, since you need that crew anyway to get the helpers in position and run them back down the hill etc.

Still an interesting approach though and there could be helpful situations for it. I could see detaching/adding a DPU remote set on a train with mid-train remotes that actually needs to make a set off or other switching move.
As I understand it, when MRL supplies midtrain helpers, then those locos are under the control of the lead section, but I did read one account of when tail end ones are used, they decouple on the move before entering the tunnels at the top of the passes as the train has enough weight already going downgrade on the other side to not need them. It was not mentioned just how the decoupling was achieved in that case.

Mid train and tail end "remotes" (Distributed Power Units or DPU) are radio controlled from the head end. These units remain in train for the whole run.

Pushers (manned helper units) that only help push trains up a ruling grade and then cut off again are a whole different animal.

Two very different operations.

Back