Lionel vintage post war train and accessories

Dad's Trains

Hi everyone,

Helping my father sell his Lionel O27 trainset from the 1950's. I would guess that most of the items would be considered in average to good condition with the exception of a couple of the items. I have photos of all the items that I would be happy to share with anyone that is interested. He does have some of the original boxes, but the boxes are not in the best condition. We were hoping to find someone that would be interested in purchasing all of it. We think $750 plus shipping would be a fair price. The trains are located in North Texas. Any recommendations or feedback would be appreciated. Please see the inventory list below.

2056 Locomotive and tender
50 Gang car (has chip on plastic car housing and only one man)
6462 Barrel car
6357 Caboose
3474 Box Car
IMG_3028.JPG

6465 Tank Car
63521 Ice station and car
3472 Milk car and platform
394 Rotating Beacon (rotating lens has damage)
3656 Stockyard and car
252 Crossing gate
445 Switch Tower (poor condition but appears to have all the parts)
260 Lighted Bumper
71 Lampposts (QTY 3)
165 Crane
027 track (25 straight, 28 curved and two 1122 switch tracks)
110 8pc Trestle
Lionel Trainmaster type ZW transformer
1033 Transformer
Partial jar of smoke pellets

Welcome and good luck with your sale. I would say it is a very nice set. It has a ZW transformer and the 2056 is a fine engine. The engine is above average and the whistle tender is worth as much as the engine. A couple of working accessories is good and some action cars with them. The ice house is unique. You do have a lot of original boxes too bad they are not in very good condition. The disappointing part is the 027 track and switches. You would expect O gage track with 022 switches with a 2056 engine. I know it operates on 027 track but with that engine you normally see O gage. Do not be surprised if a buyer tells you to keep the track to avoid shipping cost.. The best is the 165 crane. That is cool and may have as much value as the ZW. Some one will know their trains if they make an offer on it. There are some good items in there good luck. Also it would be a good investment for a family starting out and that will be hard to find. Prepare to be assaulted by sellers. If you break it up sell the common stuff first. Your best bet is to try and sell locally. When I consider buying something I do look at the price and I consider how much train buying power are they asking for. What else can I buy at that cost. 750 is a lot of power. I could buy any dual motor diesel set with top quality passenger cars.
If you keep it in the family get some good track.

Welcome and good luck with your sale. I would say it is a very nice set. It has a ZW transformer and the 2056 is a fine engine. The engine is above average and the whistle tender is worth as much as the engine. A couple of working accessories is good and some action cars with them. The ice house is unique. You do have a lot of original boxes too bad they are not in very good condition. The disappointing part is the 027 track and switches. You would expect O gage track with 022 switches with a 2056 engine. I know it operates on 027 track but with that engine you normally see O gage. Do not be surprised if a buyer tells you to keep the track to avoid shipping cost.. The best is the 165 crane. That is cool and may have as much value as the ZW. Some one will know their trains if they make an offer on it. There are some good items in there good luck. Also it would be a good investment for a family starting out and that will be hard to find. Prepare to be assaulted by sellers. If you break it up sell the common stuff first. Your best bet is to try and sell locally. When I consider buying something I do look at the price and I consider how much train buying power are they asking for. What else can I buy at that cost. 750 is a lot of power. I could buy any dual motor diesel set with top quality passenger cars.
If you keep it in the family get some good track.
Thanks for the reply Dub, I could be wrong on the track, I will double check the switch track numbers to be sure.

Sounds good. Thanks Willie
I ran your list by my brother who has an extensive Lionel collection, about half inherited from my Dad and the other half bought by him both new and used. Unfortunately he doesn't need any of this equipment, as he has multiples of many and has 4-ZW transformers. That will blow a circuit breaker fast! He did point out that your asking price is reasonable.

I ran your list by my brother who has an extensive Lionel collection, about half inherited from my Dad and the other half bought by him both new and used. Unfortunately he doesn't need any of this equipment, as he has multiples of many and has 4-ZW transformers. That will blow a circuit breaker fast! He did point out that your asking price is reasonable.
I appreciate you trying. Thanks again Willie

Back