Let's talk computer interfaces

JeffH

I'm beginning to plan ahead for my winter projects, and near the top is getting into JMRI and/or something like ESU's LokProgrammer.

I have 2 DCC systems. Either can interface with a computer with a $50-$60 USB interface device.

I have a NCE Power Cab and also have a MRC Prodigy Advance Sq. NRC has a USB interface panel. MRC has a USB cable.

At first, All I want to do is 1) read and program decoders, and 2) operate the trains with JMRI.

Of the 2 systems, is one any better than the other when it comes to interfacing with JMRI?

Eventually, I wish to control turnouts through JMRI. But I don't think either DCC system would be better than the other when it comes to controlling accessories like turnouts. Or is that a bad assumption?

A lot of my online research into which is better goes back 10 years when MRC wasn't playing well with JMRI. But I believe that is no longer an issue. There isn't much else out there that discusses the 2 different systems, and if one is better than the other when it comes to working with JMRI.

Hi Jeff,
I currently run a Digitrax system which I have interfaced to a home created computer program written in Visual Basic. I can control turnouts via either the PC or throttle. I will be interested to hear how you go with the NCE system. I have used JMRI and found it very good.

Following... I've got NCE, but haven't even put power to track. And I've got an old mac-mini I can move down the layout at any time. Or an old Windows XP unit. Curious as to how and what I need to get those up and running when the time comes.

I think I'm going to start out with the USB panel for the NCE Power Cab, and get JMRI going with NCE first. I need to source an inexpensive computer. I'm thinking about gettting a refurbished inexpensive Windows 10 based laptop. I should be able to find one for less than $100, and it will have everything I need other than a printer-type USB cable, which I already have.

Quick, very specific question:

Even though the NCE PowerCab does not have a "read cv value" function as a stand alone DCC system, if I use the NCE PowerCab to interface with JMRI, will the combination of those 2 systems then allow JMRI to read CV values? Or does the limitation of the NCE system preclude JMRI from being able to read the CV values?

If you find the USB cable for the MRC Prodigy system, please post it up.
I've been looking for the interface cable for some time, part #MRC 0001516, and it is always out of stock.

Once in a while I'll hear of someone who is able to write their own program to run trains and they profess that it's really easy. Yeah, OK. So when you die or decide to hate me because I'm not of the same political party as you, who do I turn to for help?
If you don't know computers well enough to write your own program, stick with the middle of the road where you can be assured of help when ya need it. Not when Billy Joel with his Hungarian DCC+C system is home from mountain climbing.
I use a simple USB interface using the Digitrax PR4 for the JMRI to program all decoders except ESU and the ESU LokProgrammer for my ESU decoders. I have a dedicated computer for the railroad only. No email, no surfing the web except ESU for decoder downloads. No other programs for cooking, handyman, YouTube or anything else.

Back