LED Flickers

Don't want to argue the point. I'll do some digging though for my own self :p
There's nothing to argue we're talking about the same value if I say 560 Kiloohms that's the same as 560K, You'll say 560K and I'll say 560 Ohms, it's just we use a different abbreviation of the Same Word

I think your getting confused with the abbreviation the US uses when talking about money.

How do you read the bands? I have a heap of regular resistors that I forgot to label so have no clue what they are :(

Resistor_color_code.png

There's nothing to argue we're talking about the same value if I say 560 Kiloohms that's the same as 560K, You'll say 560K and I'll say 560 Ohms, it's just we use a different abbreviation of the Same Word

I think your getting confused with the abbreviation the US uses when talking about money.

Forgive me for jumping in here, but I think this needs to be clarified for those reading this thread later on and working on model RR electronics.

A 560K resistor is not the same thing as a 560 ohm resistor.

The "K" after a resistor number indicates that you multiply the value by 1000. If there is no "K," then it is straight ohms as indicated.

A 560K resistor is equal to 560,000 ohms.
A 560 ohm resistor is equal to only 560 ohms.

Here is an example of resistors from a bulk pack I bought online. One is a set of 680K resistors, the other is 680 ohm resistors. Note that they are different, the 680K ones are larger as they provide significantly more resistance.

Attachments

• IMG-6194.jpg
    IMG-6194.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 47
Forgive me for jumping in here, but I think this needs to be clarified for those reading this thread later on and working on model RR electronics.

A 560K resistor is not the same thing as a 560 ohm resistor.

The "K" after a resistor number indicates that you multiply the value by 1000. If there is no "K," then it is straight ohms as indicated.

A 560K resistor is equal to 560,000 ohms.
A 560 ohm resistor is equal to only 560 ohms.

Here is an example of resistors from a bulk pack I bought online. One is a set of 680K resistors, the other is 680 ohm resistors. Note that they are different, the 680K ones are larger as they provide significantly more resistance.
I stand corrected, Thanks. :)

Getting back to the flickering, are you running AC without a rectifier, that would cause flickering if the frequency is low enough.
No idea Hutch - I'm using a standard MRC 1370 to run my lighting. I think the problem though was I wasn't using a large enough resistor. Now I am, the issue seems to have been fixed :)

Black is 0
Brown is 1
Red is 2
Orange is 3
Yellow is 4
Green is 5
Blue is 6
Violet is 7
Grey is 8
White is 9

The first 2 bands are the value and the 3rd is the number of zeros to add to the value.

The easiest way to rember is to follow the colors of the rainbow.
And if you can't remember the color codes:
Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Violet Gives Willingly - from the early 80's.

later

I've come in a bit late on this thread but I'm actually about to wire up some LED street lamps myself but I'm going to use a "left over"Arduino board to make one flicker deliberately. I also have an EWP truck to place next to it for the work crew who are going to be fixing it.
Maybe I should've got you to arrange me a street lamp Tony?

Back