Kitbashing an On30 2-6-2T from the Rodgers 2-6-0

Well, I finally got around to doing this tutorial on how to kitbash a 2-6-2T tank locomotive from nothing other than the Bachmann 2-6-0 and a very small amount of styrene, some balsa wood, and a sprue from a plastic model kit! [:-bigeyes][:D]

So first, you go out and purchase a new, or used Bachmann 2-6-0. The Ideal one to use in this kitbash would be a Painted, Unlettered locomotive. I used a OR&w ry. Locomotive for this, as it's the closest, and the one I managed to win on eBay. (Thank goodness that it wasn't the DRGW bumblebee, or that horrid christmas one I also bid on, but thankfully didn't win.)

I'm using a photo I got off the internet of a good side view of the locomotive.

kitbash1.png

kitbash2.png

Before I dive too deep into this project on here, I should note where I got the inspiration:

http://www.rbadesign.net/TERRAPIN/DG_262ST.htm

and now back to kitbash!

Ok, once you've done all the prep work in the first photo. Here's what you'll need to proceed.

-A Razor Saw to cut up the Tender ( WAIT FOR THE PHOTO OUTLINING THE SPECIFICS FIRST!)
-Testor's Model Master glue for plastic
-Walther's Goo.
-Small flat file
-a pair of flush cutting pliers. (I ruined one of my Xuron rail nippers (grr!) so I use that.)

-A small block of balsa wood
-small sheet of .60 styrene
-small sheet of .20 styrene
-Sprue from building kit
-small square of basswood sheet
-small diameter wire

Here's what I had after I finished removing what I suggested in my top photograph.

TMLCSF029.png

Here's where to remove the back of the cab.
TMLCSF036.png

Here's what the bottom of the fuel bunker.
TMLCSF035.png

Here's where you need to cut up the tender exactly on the outside of the rivets.
TMLCSF033.png

TMLCSF030oil.png

OPTIONAL: If you're going for solid fuels, look at this step.
TMLCSF034b.png

TMLCSF043b.png

TMLCSF046b.png

TMLCSF039.png

tmlc012.png

tmlc010.png

Here's the balsa wood pilot and the crude way I attached the rather free-spinning rear wheel.

tmlc011.png

tmlc010.png

tmlc009.png

To make it look nice, I built the oil tank olny up to the level of the tender "lip" on the side.
tmlc008.png

tmlc013.png

tmlc014.png

tmlc007.png

tmlc018.png

Well, I hope you enjoyed this! I;ll be posting finishing touches later.

ANY QUESTIONS? I'd be glad to answer them. :)

I thought I should try something diferent for a change of pace from my usual 1950's layout, or all the modern stuff I weather for my business.

Back