Kato power supply issue?

JFouc33

I started building a basic DC N scale Kato layout, I'm completely new to this. I have a track set up right now with 3 turnouts and everything works good, the only issue is the Kato power pack only allows me to run my train at full speed, the throttle control doesn't seem to work, if I turn the throttle down to %70 the train stops.
Could this be a locomotive issue?, not enough power supply to the rails? Any suggestions?

I started building a basic DC N scale Kato layout, I'm completely new to this. I have a track set up right now with 3 turnouts and everything works good, the only issue is the Kato power pack only allows me to run my train at full speed, the throttle control doesn't seem to work, if I turn the throttle down to %70 the train stops.
Could this be a locomotive issue?, not enough power supply to the rails? Any suggestions?
I would think it is the power supply rather than a loco issue.

Having said that, It could be a loco issue if something was wrong such that it was bound up so tight the motor couldn't turn it until that specific level, but I don't think that is likely. When the loco is on the track does the light come on dim and get brighter before the train begins to move, or does it also just blast into full brightness?

To test the power supply I presume you only have the one loco, so I am trying to think of other things that might be of same voltage. Thinking of none..... A volt meter is a most valuable tool for working with and diagnosing problems with a model railroad. One can get one at Harbor Freight tools for $6. Well, you can get them free with any purchase if you hit the right coupon day.

Kind of late to the party here, but it sounds like the transistors inside the variable speed controller may be blown. Unfortunately, Kato doesn’t want anyone tampering inside their controllers, so they are assembled with one-time locking housings at the factory, making replacement your only option.

Bill in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (aka: Railtwister)

Kind of late to the party here, but it sounds like the transistors inside the variable speed controller may be blown. Unfortunately, Kato doesn’t want anyone tampering inside their controllers, so they are assembled with one-time locking housings at the factory, making replacement your only option.

Bill in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (aka: Railtwister)
The OP was only active on the forum for three days in 2021, so either he figured out what went wrong or just left this forum. Either way, I don't think that he'll see your answer.

Back