Kato GP7, Which Decoder ?

Smudge617

I've got this really nice Kato GP7, 1 of only 2 Kato's I own, and it's finally come round to converting it to DCC.

However before I do, I thought it prudent to ask fellow members which decoder is best suited for Kato locomotives, (I've noticed some decoders work with certain brands better than other's).

I'm thinking Digitrax DH165AO would work, but you guys have far more experience with Kato Locomotive's than me, so which do you think?

1689027229213.png

I really like the lighting effect the incandescent bulb gives off, so I also need to find a simple way to replicate it.

1689027152044.png

I favor ESU LokSound decoders for diesels. Check the interweb for DCC installs in a Kato GP-9.
Keep us posted on your final product.

Take care....John

I favor ESU LokSound decoders for diesels. Check the interweb for DCC installs in a Kato GP-9.
Keep us posted on your final product.

Take care....John
I wasn't going to put sound in this one, not really enough space for a decent speaker, so I just used a 8 pin decoder, have to admit, that was the easiest and quickest decoder install I've ever done, and managed to keep the original lighting too.

Hello Smudge. William here. If you are interested, Digitrax makes a decoder for Kato engines. It is their DH165KO. It is a 1.25amp Mobile decoder,and retails around $30USD. now if you want to try and put sound in your loco,it can be done. At www.TCSDCC.com,in their WOW Sound decoder install photos,they show how to put the WDK-ATL2 sound decoder in the Atlas Kato GP-7. The major caveat to this is the price of the kit,,It ain't cheap. But if you go to Yankee Dabbler,you might a better price. Hope this helps. William.

Hello Smudge. William here. If you are interested, Digitrax makes a decoder for Kato engines. It is their DH165KO. It is a 1.25amp Mobile decoder,and retails around $30USD. now if you want to try and put sound in your loco,it can be done. At www.TCSDCC.com,in their WOW Sound decoder install photos,they show how to put the WDK-ATL2 sound decoder in the Atlas Kato GP-7. The major caveat to this is the price of the kit,,It ain't cheap. But if you go to Yankee Dabbler,you might a better price. Hope this helps. William.
I live in the UK, so postage alone rules out anything like that. But thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Hi This is a pretty old Kato model. You could put in almost any decoder- NCE, TCS, ESU or Digitrax or others. If you want sound, I am using ESU LokSound units (personal preference). There is a lot of space in the shell with the old design. A 9mmx16mm speaker with a 2 or 3mm back-case will fit in there with no problems. The decoder has built-in LEDs, or you can add your own white or warm white LEDs (about one penny each) with a 1500 to 2200 Ohm resistor in series, wired to the decoder board. Good luck!

Hi This is a pretty old Kato model. You could put in almost any decoder- NCE, TCS, ESU or Digitrax or others. If you want sound, I am using ESU LokSound units (personal preference). There is a lot of space in the shell with the old design. A 9mmx16mm speaker with a 2 or 3mm back-case will fit in there with no problems. The decoder has built-in LEDs, or you can add your own white or warm white LEDs (about one penny each) with a 1500 to 2200 Ohm resistor in series, wired to the decoder board. Good luck!
I just hardwired a cheap 8 pin decoder and left the original light unit, I may upgrade to LED's at a later date.

Back