I've always thought it'd be great fun......

Old 97

Hogger
To drop a piece of rolling stock in the mail, with a waybill and have it run on another member's layout.
It'd be a car of average value and detail.
That way if it turned up missing, no big deal.
Also, if it wound up in someone's shop or R.I.P. track for upgrades, that would be cool too.
In addition to the waybills, a little pocketbook could make the journey as well.
Receiving members could write a brief note or just mark the date and railroad it visited.
It would have to be set up for standard coupler height and weighted.
A non running layout wouldn't be a disqualifier.
The host railroad could just fill out the waybill and notebook as if it was in actual use.
Heck, right now 100% of my modeling is done in my head with a list of "Some Days" and "Good Intentions".:rolleyes::)

We actually did that a few years back but unfortunately one guy held on to all the cars until he had all four or five then disappeared. Not a very smart guy tho, he’s all over the web and easy to find!

We actually did that a few years back but unfortunately one guy held on to all the cars until he had all four or five then disappeared. Not a very smart guy tho, he’s all over the web and easy to find!
You wouldn't be referring to Josh, were you?

We actually did that a few years back but unfortunately one guy held on to all the cars until he had all four or five then disappeared.
I had a vague recollection of the guys doing that but wasn't sure.
Didn't know it went South like it did.:confused:

On the U.K. Forum I am a member we did a similar thing. It was a little gunpowder van. It travelled throughout the U. K. and photographed on every ones layout. I had the pleasure to send it to Norway. Off course it returned back. A great four to five months seeing the van on different layouts.

Might have been Josh, did he have a big Santa Fe tattoo on his shoulder?
Funny but I knew his name until I typed that… 🤔
I don't know about that, but Josh was a younger guy who was in the business of weathering locomotives. At the time, 2015 or so, he disappeared and so did a lot of commission work that was in his possession, although I did read that some was eventually returned, untouched.

Back