Intermodal Lot Paving

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
The large intermodal facility on the D&J Railroad has been plywood world since it was established years ago. It was on the end of a long peninsula of the empire and had a large open area in the middle for access.
I finally got the bug to work on this area s few weeks ago and applied a cover for the open area. Next phase is to apply black card stock material for the asphalt container storage area and truck paths.
Clearing out all the containers and vans was almost monumental in itself.

20231206_161909.jpg

The auto rack loading area is the five stub tracks lower left. A power plant will be in the area of the black rectangle card stock. The building just above the black card stock is the Walthers power plant. The three tracks closest to the open area on the right are intermodal stub tracks.
The triangular opening in the plywood will be covered with scenery.

Will the work in the classification yard be the priority or will you be doing a little of both?
The yard signal system has become the priority. I can't isolate the two tracks I want to create as blocks. They are connecting to the adjacent tracks somehow. I have cut every visible feeder wire and widened the gap of the block break. I might have laid a common rail wire above the road then covered it with ballast.

The yard signal system has become the priority. I can't isolate the two tracks I want to create as blocks. They are connecting to the adjacent tracks somehow. I have cut every visible feeder wire and widened the gap of the block break. I might have laid a common rail wire above the road then covered it with ballast.
It's always something. With the size of your empire, it amazes me that you don't have more bugs.

I'm sure you will solve this one.

Got the blocks figured out. Not sure what the problem was, but once I clipped all the track drop wires, the problem went away.
The block detection module has LEDs on it that show occupancy without needing additional plug in chips like the BDL168.
I've put out an invite for an op session on 30 Dec for the club members to bring their new Christmas toys out to run. The op session itself will be steam era, so only steamers and early diesels will be aloud on the rails. After all the assignments are completed, it will go to free running.
I had to clear all the intermodal stuff off the layout, vans, containers, well cars and spine cars. That took awhile. Each time I thought I had them all, I spot another cut of intermodal.
I finished moving all my steam locos downstairs and test run over to the classification yard. Tomorrow I can get back to the paving project. If I get the interface card for the block detection job, I'll break away from the paving job and install that.

Back