Howdy From Montana

CM-Fan

I'm a long time modeler that grew up in the Colorado Rockies and spent a lot of my youth exploring old mining towns. I was also curious about the railroad grades and trestle remnants. While I was in Junior High one of my teachers gave me some duplicate Model Railroad magazines from the late 60s and early 70s. The work of John Allen really caught my eye, and I have been hooked on the hobby ever since. That was 42 years ago!
Im very old school, my locomotives are still DC and I scratch build the majority of my structures that caught my eye in the towns of Colorado Mining towns.

I have been priviliged to live and work in great towns like Cripple Crrek and Victor, Sargents, Alamosa and Silverton.

My locomotives are HO and HOn3 scale. Currently, I do not have a layout due to a move here in Montana four years ago. But I continue to build Structures, Modify and backdate locomotives for the era up to 1900 that intriges me. But the new layout is being planned and will start out as a basic 4x6 or 8 that will grow. Its that John Allen influence. Anyway, thats my back story!

Ah welcome! I have been to Silverton many times! Love skiing Purgatory Mtn. and love fishing the Animas river but haven't been back since the mining spill that destroyed the fishing there. Anyhow glad to have ya!

Welcome to the forum. Needless to say I am also from Montana but am on the other side of Billings by a few miles. I have been working on my layout for over 30 years now and am also still DC only as the layout was built mainly for switching and I rarely have the need to run more than one train at a time.

My layout is a freelance railroad set in the area where I live and runs between Logan and Gallatin Gateway, MT set in 1957 which allows me to run both steam and diesel.

Stop by the Coffee Shop here on the forum where we BS about anything except religion and politics.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Trailrider - Im located near Miles City MT. I model the Colorado Midland Railroad, era about 1900. But that is not carved in stone as I'm a modeler and other things will catch my eye and I add them to the collection. There also is a mix of Denver & Rio Grande equipment, both standard and narrow gauge. Colorado Southern and even some Florence and Cripple Creek. I love the history of the old mining towns.

montanan - Thats a great era you have chosen, I have a real apppreciation for those early Diesels. A little before my time but that would of been something to see both steam and diesel sharing the rails.

For posting pictures - any tips, hosting sites reccommended ? (lost most of my early pics to photobucket several years back)

First of all, welcome aboard our forum. As Chet posted, come and visit in the Coffee Shop and get to know some members better.

For posting pictures - any tips, hosting sites reccommended
Posting pictures here does not require a web hosting site. There are several ways to do it. I just drag and drop thumbnails directly to the reply box. For me, it actually uses the full size photo. You can also copy and paste from most any picture viewer. Both methods require that you keep the original on your computer. I think that there are at least two additional methods of posting here, but I never checked them out because why?

Back