How to hook up toggle switches to sidings and spurs ?

PENNBOB

Hi everyone. I'm new here. And starting out. I have a N-scale 36x80 hollow core door layout that I am starting. Its DC. Running 2 trains. It is Kato track with Kato switches for the turnouts. How would I go about hooking up toggle switches to turn the power on and off on the sidings and spurs? So I can park some trains on them . Would my existing wiring be ok like it is? Or would I have to change anything with it? Would there be any wiring diagrams for this? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You guys. I will try to post a picture of my layout. Bob.

Attachments

• DSCF5811.JPG
    DSCF5811.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF5812.JPG
    DSCF5812.JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 51
Just hook up a single pole single throw switch into one of the feeders for the siding. Use insulated rail joiners at each end of the siding on the rail that the feeder is attached to.
Thank you sir . I will fool around with It. Give it a shot. Just use one side of the feeder wire and hook the switch to It. Is that what you mean? Thanks Bob.

Most N scale Kato switches are already power routing. Check to see if your trains still run on a siding with the switch thrown away from the siding. If it won't run, then you won't need to wire anything.

Most N scale Kato switches are already power routing. Check to see if your trains still run on a siding with the switch thrown away from the siding. If it won't run, then you won't need to wire anything.
I have #6 which come power routed. Thanks , I will check it out .Thank you sir.

Hi everyone. I'm new here. And starting out. I have a N-scale 36x80 hollow core door layout that I am starting. Its DC. Running 2 trains. It is Kato track with Kato switches for the turnouts. How would I go about hooking up toggle switches to turn the power on and off on the sidings and spurs? So I can park some trains on them . Would my existing wiring be ok like it is? Or would I have to change anything with it? Would there be any wiring diagrams for this? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You guys. I will try to post a picture of my layout. Bob.
I drew a picture for clarity, however every time I try to make something clear it seems more cloudy :rolleyes:

isolating a siding.png

Dave LASM

Back