How do I replace small springs into a flatbed cars truck

Smudge617

I've have a flatbed car that I had to replace the wheels on (31" to 33") but one side of the truck came off, it's all metal, got the side back on, but I can't get the 2 small spring to go back in, is there a trick to doing this?

Use the Xacto blade to compress the spring after you once installed it in the lower pin to hold it while you depress the spring and carefully insert the pin into the top pin.

The springs like to fly.

Greg

Use the Xacto blade to compress the spring after you once installed it in the lower pin to hold it while you depress the spring and carefully insert the pin into the top pin.

The springs like to fly.

Greg
well that's my evening buggered then, thanks, I thought that might be the case :( but I found out about springs when I learnt to change brush springs on motors, so now they all get done inside a clear polythene bag, springs don't fly so far, and (relatively) easy to find, and at least I know they have not been sacrificed to the wicked Carpet God :)

Personally I’d chuck the metal trucks as I’ve had so many issues with them but your mileage may vary.
I have a carton of them here somewhere that I might use as scenic junk.
Love the idea of assembling in a plastic bag tho!

Personally I’d chuck the metal trucks as I’ve had so many issues with them but your mileage may vary.
Springs, small ones are a bar steward to find, especially if they end up with the "Carpet god", using a clear plastic bag keeps them where you can find the little shits. :)

One way to handle the itty bitty springs in couplers and trucks is to run a thread or dental floss thru the spring and then install it in the coupler/truck. If it launches out of the coupler/truck the thread will keep it from disappearing. After its installed, gently pull the thread out.

I like to use a thin bladed flat screwdriver and stick the blade between the coils to handle the spring.

I'm with Rico on getting rid of the metal trucks and using Athearn or Accurail plastic ones.
Unfortunately, I'm buggered, no one here has any plastic freight car trucks, so I'm stuck with replacing them with Bettendorf T section metal trucks, I have no idea if their correct, I don't think I would recognise the difference between a Bettendorf truck and Betty White. well at least they come with 33" wheels :)

FYI: The AAR banned T section trucks on new cars and as replacement trucks in 1946 and banned them in interchange after 1957.

Also, I have several timelines on my website that might be useful for dating things.

FYI: The AAR banned T section trucks on new cars and as replacement trucks in 1946 and banned them in interchange after 1957.

Also, I have several timelines on my website that might be useful for dating things.

Unfortunately, I don't have a choice but to use these, I'm going to have to order some of the more up to date plastic trucks from the US, seems I can only get the metal T Section Bettendorfs here. :( But I'm still looking.

Back