How Close Do You Spot Your Freight Cars

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Smaller layouts may have the problem of freight cars just barely fitting in sidings do to space limitations.
Bigger layout can employ this little marker.
I mark a cross tie on each siding to show the limit of spotted cars so they don't get side swiped by passing trains.
It's a small detail that adds to the scenery. Paint can go right iver existing dirt, grime, roadkill or any other small stuff to look prototypical. Faded a bit to represent weather effects.

20240604_205818.jpg

Smaller layouts may have the problem of freight cars just barely fitting in sidings do to space limitations.
Bigger layout can employ this little marker.
I mark a cross tie on each siding to show the limit of spotted cars so they don't get side swiped by passing trains.
It's a small detail that adds to the scenery. Paint can go right iver existing dirt, grime, roadkill or any other small stuff to look prototypical. Faded a bit to represent weather effects.

View attachment 191111
Interesting detail, I usually eyeball leaving ample space.

One thing I used in the past was a man standing there as a marker. It would be a rail worker, where the under the track uncoupler magnet was placed.

Dave1905. Hope you are recovering nicely from your surgery
Home now so all good.

In my class yards, I put a marker with the track number at the clearance point, both as a clearance aid to help the yard crew keep track of which track is which.
BeltYrdAfter2.jpg

I also added thumbtacks painted with the block color code to aid the switch crews.
  • Green=Reading
  • Yellow=Wilmington
  • Blue=Elsmere Jct/B&O
  • Orange = Coatesville
That matches the color coding on the waybills and yardmaster train blocking sheets. Trying to keep things consistent.

Back