HOn3 Galloping Goose by Balboa

narrowgauger

Hello,
I am in need of information about a brass HOn3 model of a #2 RGS galloping goose. It is made by Balboa and the question concerns how to repair the somewhat archaic "rubber band" drive. I need to replace the rubberband/belt and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to disassemble the gearbox. The bottom plate looks as if it is attached to the frame at the 4 corners by soldering it to the frame. Does anyone know if that is the only way to get the new band installed or am I missing something obvious? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have included a couple of pictures.
Thanks
John T.

Attachments

• 20230607_151613.jpg
    20230607_151613.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20230607_151627.jpg
    20230607_151627.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 84
It looks to me like you could undo both nuts and the set screw on the fly wheel, then unscrew both screws from the motor. Slide the driveshaft back and you should be able to replace the band. Unless there's something I'm not seeing.

Thanks. That would be good for the top pulley but there is also one like it down in the gearbox which is the one that seems to be soldered in. I'm wondering if there is any way to get to the lower one short of unsoldering the bottom plate.

I cannot see that the machine would have been constructed with NO WAY to replace the band?
There must be something that you are not seeing?
I'd like to help, but am stumped!

It is quite simple so I don't think I'm missing anything. However, I was handling it recently, looking at the top "pulley", and the bottom plate, which was soldered on, came loose. You can see it rotated to the left side in the picture. (One of the solder joints just bent rather than broke.) So I have popped out the lower shaft/pulley by lightly prying on the end. I'm considering re-attaching the bottom plate with epoxy rather than trying to re-solder it once I get a new rubber band in place. It's hard to imagine a manufacturer making something with so little thought to future maintenance but that appears to be the case.
20230611_141748.jpg

It is quite simple so I don't think I'm missing anything. However, I was handling it recently, looking at the top "pulley", and the bottom plate, which was soldered on, came loose. You can see it rotated to the left side in the picture. (One of the solder joints just bent rather than broke.) So I have popped out the lower shaft/pulley by lightly prying on the end. I'm considering re-attaching the bottom plate with epoxy rather than trying to re-solder it once I get a new rubber band in place. It's hard to imagine a manufacturer making something with so little thought to future maintenance but that appears to be the case. View attachment 169847
probably thought it would not wear out, I would love to see the whole thing put back together

Dave LASM

Back