HO Scale Tubing question/s

Thanks Bob, I'll take a look. I think, if as Lynn said a pole is 12" in diameter, then that will be about 1/16th of an inch scaled (approx) I think if my math is any good.
Not in HO scale, Carol. To convert a real-world dimension to HO scale, simply divide by 87. So . . .
12"/87 = 0.137" (to the nearest 1/1000")

Therefore, in HO scale, you could use 1/8" (0.125") tubing to represent a 12" pole. The 1/8" tubing would be slightly undersized, but I doubt if anyone will notice! If you can find some 9/64" (0.140") tubing, that would be more accurate.

- Jeff

After looking at some of the cost of pre wired Street Lights (of good quality) I thought I might give making my own a go.

As such, what size/gauge tubing would I need for the poles?
I take it when you say good quality, you mean expensive.
Have to admit I use Chinese ones (£7 for ten 2 light lamp poles inc p&p) there now 3 years old, so far two single LEDs don't work out of the 25 I have, and one of them was my fault.

Ah yeah sure I do - it's in the box labelled "what the hell is this" :) Short answer, nope :(

Thanks Bob, I'll take a look. I think, if as Lynn said a pole is 12" in diameter, then that will be about 1/16th of an inch scaled (approx) I think if my math is any good.
12 inches in HO scale (1:87) is more like .14 inches, or a little over an eighth inch.

Perhaps someone knows the exact origin of HO scale. O is 1:48 and half that would be 1:96. These probably originated as 1/4" per foot scale and the 1:96 (1/8" per foot). Now how did we come up with the catchy 1:87 scale? The 3.5 mm/ft HO scale make one suspect those metric folks had a hand in this. Still a pretty arbitrary scale, even in metrics!

I have always heard that it is 'Half O'. Well the math tells us different. If metric, it is different than OO by just a bit. Smudge can tell us more on that. Google tells us that it originated in the UK but never caught on. And if we pick nits, HO is actually 1/87.2 if you really need extra 0.0000263".

Later

Measure with a micrometer, cut with a chainsaw... An old Alaskan proverb... I do measure with a micrometer, the final item is usually within and inch (actual ) or two. I only use Pie to a couple of significant figures...

Perhaps someone knows the exact origin of HO scale. O is 1:48 and half that would be 1:96. These probably originated as 1/4" per foot scale and the 1:96 (1/8" per foot). Now how did we come up with the catchy 1:87 scale? The 3.5 mm/ft HO scale make one suspect those metric folks had a hand in this. Still a pretty arbitrary scale, even in metrics!
The name H0 comes from 1:87 scale being half that of 0 scale, which was originally the smallest of the series of older and larger 0, 1, 2 and 3 gauges introduced by Märklin around 1900

I have always heard that it is 'Half O'. Well the math tells us different. If metric, it is different than OO by just a bit. Smudge can tell us more on that. Google tells us that it originated in the UK but never caught on. And if we pick nits, HO is actually 1/87.2 if you really need extra 0.0000263".

Later
Good job I bookmarked this page, a brief summary of why the UK has OO scale.

Back