Help with Decoder on Athearn Gen MP15

meanjean

I installed a Digitrax DH123D 9 pin decoder in my Athearn Genesis MP15AC. The loco is a SP version with 4 working headlights on the front. After placing the decoder in the loco only 2 of the 4 headlights work? Why? I have an idea but not sure? Do I need to wire all 4 of the lights on the same place on the board? The decoder has 2 FX. Would I need a 3 FX since the pairs of lights are considered 1 FX?

The loco works great with the decoder other then the lights not working. I have 2 other SP units with 4 working headlights on the front and want to figure this out for future conversions.

Thanks

Chad, you would need a 3 FX version since the 2 FX version will only control two bulbs. The 3 FX version will control 6 bulbs including the two Gyralights.

Thanks for the info. That is what I thought but wasnt sure. I will have to look for a 3 function decoder. Any suggestions?

I'll go with Alan on his choice. The DH163 is about the same size as the 123D and has all the light functions you need.

Chad, you would need a 3 FX version since the 2 FX version will only control two bulbs. The 3 FX version will control 6 bulbs including the two Gyralights.

Did switch engines use Gyralights? What time frame did they put stobe light on the roof of an SP unit? Didnt see it on pics in the 80's

Last edited by a moderator:
Chad, SP switchers had the full light cluster including the Gyralight and red big hole light. They used the Gyralight at all times when they were on a mainline track or yard lead. It was usually not used in the yard because it dazzled and disoriented crew members on the ground, especially after dark. The light cluster started to be modified in the early 80's, when the Gyralight and big hole light was removed and the amber roof beacon added. This started slowly at first but accelerated when the abortive SPSF merger was attempted in 1984 and when the Rio Grande bought the SP in 1988. Cost cutting was mandatory and maintining those light clusters was expensive. By 1990, they were only a memory.

Just one more qualification: Don't forget that the MP-15 was road capable (hence the MP: Multi-Purpose). It did both jobs, so what you use depends on what service you're modeling. I use mine as both a road and a switch engine, depending on what's going on at the club.

Back