Help Confirming This Loco and (Extra) Parts

Smudge617

I have an old army buddy living in Germany who's recently got himself into American HO scale Locomotives but unfortunately has dived in (as I did) without knowing a lot about them.

He's picked up this locomotive and wants to know what it is, I'm sure this is an Athearn SD45 possibly a T-2 ? but I thought I'd better enquire of more knowledgeable minds, also what are the two "extra" pieces in the picture, I'm thinking one is the Pilot and the other is part of the fuel tank ??

1707486029766.png

This crew would get him out of his shell quickly!! 🤣
No, I've known him for over 45 years, so you won't, his wife and daughter were killed in the Germanwings plane crash in 2015, and he's blamed himself ever since as he was the one who booked that flight home, he didn't get on the flight as it was overbooked and his daughter had a scholarship to Juilliard in NY and was to fly out to the US the next day, so he insisted they take the flight and he would fly home the following day.

This is the first time as far as I know, he's been interested in anything since then, so I'm just slowly encouraging him into the hobby, if I try and rush him he's likely to shut down again, it took me and a friend of ours nearly 3 years just to get him to say Hi after their deaths.

No, I've known him for over 45 years, so you won't, his wife and daughter were killed in the Germanwings plane crash in 2015....
Some things we as men, just don't come back from.
On the plus side, he still walks among the living, even though he may not.
I'll say a prayer for him.

i have a similar friend. His wife died 15 years ago. He still has trouble with holidays and birthdays. Very sad situation. Just be glad he took some interest in something positive. Too many end up drinking too much.

Back