Hello

bwells

I think I goofed already! My name is Brian and I have been in Model Railroading since the 90's but took a break in 2000 to do RC boats but now back to do my layout. I started digging out from underneath my house in 1989 and finally finished an 18X16 foot room with a 4X5 chunk out of one corner. I finished it in 2009 but was real tired of the room and gave up. Now I'm back and going to kick some a$$ down there. I do have a tentative track plan but it is in my head. Sorry for doing things backward. PS I'm sure I'll go DCC but I'm used to cab control, I'll get over it tho

Welcome to the forums.

If you are sort of new to the hobby, you cannot spend enough time planning. Right from floor space, benchwork height, lighting overhead, depth of the benchwork (you can't enjoy and repair/fix what you can't reach easily!), rates of climb (or the grade), radius of curves (will the trains you plan to run manage curves, or curves on grades?), and so on. You'll save a ton of money and time if you mock it up on the floor using masking tape for your benchwork edges and the tracks here and there. If it pans out geometrically, you can then use the tape 'map' for a template as you build.

Welcome to the forums.

If you are sort of new to the hobby, you cannot spend enough time planning. Right from floor space, benchwork height, lighting overhead, depth of the benchwork (you can't enjoy and repair/fix what you can't reach easily!), rates of climb (or the grade), radius of curves (will the trains you plan to run manage curves, or curves on grades?), and so on. You'll save a ton of money and time if you mock it up on the floor using masking tape for your benchwork edges and the tracks here and there. If it pans out geometrically, you can then use the tape 'map' for a template as you build.

Now that good advice! Thanks.

Midnught, no pics yet as I will need to figure out how to post them. Selector, I did a soffit around the room and put in 4 foot shop lights for working, 2 strings of the large Christmas lights, one with red and orange and a few white and the other with blue and green both on dimmers. It sort of works for sunset/rise and night. Also added 4 recessed lights outside the soffit on a dimmer. Originally it was to be an E with a pennensila in the center and 2 loops at each end but I can't get the 26-28 inch radius I want so I have talked myself into a duck under at the door (hate to do it) as I see no other way and it will give me room for larger radii on the main, a 2 loop rise and fall probably 1.5 to 2 percent.
What do you people mean by Athearn "blue Box"? I looked at all my Athearn stuff and it is in blue boxes and is from the early 90's. I notice in the new Walthers catalog, there is no Athearn, are they still around? I have a bunch. Thanks Brian

Back