Hello from Sri Lanka

Hello there!

Hello from me to all at Model Railroad Forum:)!

As title mention, I'm from Sri-Lanka, I model American prototype in HO scale. Currently getting ready to build a 4'4''x6' layout. It will be a generic branch line, single track, based on what I've seen from pictures of American branch lines.

I'm still collecting stuff for it (locos, cars, tracks, etc etc.....), I'm a fan of Diesels, with the American GM/EMD GP15-1, GP38, GP39, GP40s being my favorites.

Good to join forum!:)

Diesel-Electric.

Hi D-E,

welcome to the forum. I hope you find answers to all your questions and get plenty of affirmation for your modelling efforts.

I must confess I am envious of you living in the country with the world's tastiest food. Are you from Sri Lanka by birth or from somewhere else? I'm also curious about the model railroad scence in Sri Lanka. Are there many people interesting in modelling trains?

Regards, Paul B

Hello there!

Thanks guys:)! I too look forward to posting more in time to come in this forum.

Well PaulB, we have some fantastic food here! But I must say I do enjoy KFC, McDonald, and Pizza hut from time to time.

In answering Your questions: I was born and bred in Sri Lanka, lived here all my life, and it is a really nice country.

About the model railroad scene, well, so far I know about less than about 10 people who do model railroading here. It is an expensive hobby, as we have to almost always import via online or friends and family living abroad. There is only one shop here which does import/sale model railroad equipment (mostly OO scale and occasionally HO scale, haven't seen N scale though), it is not however a shop dedicated to model railroading.

Most don't know there is such a thing as model railroading, it was only this year did a very close friend on mine (he is in his mid 20s) came to know about it when I showed him my model trains to him on a temporary track. He was really impressed saying "if only I had known about this 10 years ago".

Well, that's about as much I can say about the model railroad scene here.

Looking forward to more posts:),

Diesel-Electric

D-E, it happens that my father lives in Indonesia. He runs a business there. I follow my father in playing with toy trains, I mean model railroad. Actually, he follows Australian prototypes so he uses UK phrasing. It is model railways to him.

We have met many of the Indonesian railway modellers. There is a cafe/train shop in Jakarta where modellers meet. The cafe has a large HO layout using Roco DDC for people to come and run their trains.

The Indonesia scence has been heavily influenced by continential Europe influnce until recent times. So Markin is popular there. But as Europeanstuff got too expensive, people started changing to US outline models. There are Chinese and Japanese models too.

The local Indonesian prototype modelling is in it's infancy. There is a fellow up at Bandung who is making custom models for sale. He is doing very well out of it. There is some scratch building and Indonesians sometimes use Australian model etching companies to produce etchings to order.

In the furture I hope to travel further north in SE Asia to chase Malaysian and Thai trains. I am curious to see what their modelling scences are like too.

I'm glad to here there is an emerging rail modelling scene in Sri Lanka too.

Paul B

Back