Hello from East Central Illinois

To introduce myself, let me start by saying my interest in trains came from being raised beside a PRR main between Harrisburg and Philadelphia. I still miss the daily railroad sounds which were ever present. When I was 8 years old, my dad bought me a Lionel Rio Grande train set, of which most is still in working order. I played with it for a year or so, got bored and it got packed up.

I set up a sizable HO layout in our basement 20 years ago and got my sons interested in it for a couple years, but we eventually moved and anything not glued or nailed down also got boxed up.

Four years ago I began another HO layout for my grandson and I to build and operate. We are staying with the analog system for now. To do this in a small space, I built a winch and pulley system to suspend the 4x8 layout from our garage ceiling. Then when it's down it sits on saw horses. I'm looking to spend many hours of fun with my grandson designing and building the layout, and repairing locomotives and stock that has sat in boxes for the past 20 years.

Welcome to the forum!:) I dusted off my childhood trains about five years ago. Of course, it's all been replaced with new stuff since then!:D

Hi Flatlander, from west central Illinois. I know what you mean about being by the RR tracks. I was raised along side the Burlington's tracks on a farm.

Lots of people here to ask for help or just shoot the breeze with. They are friendly and informative.

Back