Hello Everyone!

sheamus7981

Hello everyone, just taking a minute to introduce myself. My name is Sheamus and I am modeling an HO scale layout, circa 1995 using the Burlington Northern line. I have completed my benchwork, started laying down parts of the sub terrain and will be hopefully completing all of the main line this week. I am interested in scratch building a wooden bridge to span over 18 actual inches of a valley. Any assistance or ideas are very welcomed! Thanks again and happy modeling!

Welcome to the forum Sheamus! I have a trestle that spans over three feet with a deck girder section to span a river. I used a trestle kit by JV Models to give me the proper size wood to start with. Really all it consisted of was sticks of basswood in what they considered the proper scale sizes. The rest is up to you to decide. My trestle was modeled after an actual trestle just out of my home town so that told me what kind of trestle to build. I built a jig for making my bents so they would all be the same general dimensions. After trimming the ends to whatever height I needed then I started adding all of the diagonal supports going every which way. Then I attached the built bents to the stringers and it started to look like something. It was very tedious but rewarding in the end. There is obviously more to building it than what I've said, but I don't want to take up too much of your time. Good luck in your build and don't forget to post pictures of your progress!:D

Hi, Sheamus, and welcome. Bridges, especially scratch-built, can be tricky, but rewarding as all get out. I built a unique wooden trestle out of scale lumber, and I also stained it with real creosote oil for the smell. That faded dismayingly quickly, maybe three days. After the look She gave me the first time she came down to do the laundry after installing the trestle, I haven't dared repeat the paint. Love to, though. :D

You should establish your 'end posts' first. Make wooden abutments once you figure out how you are going to mount the trestle or bridge in place. Then, build the item to suit the supports around and under it. Install it, being careful to keep in mind that your ties and rails must maintain a grade across it, meeting the abutment rails too. Later, once you have run trains successfully across it, you can make scenery and terrain that looks natural under it and around it.

Back