Hauling Hoppers on the D&J Railroad

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
A string of covered hoppers are led by a trio of UP modern diesels on the D&J Railroad.

[YOUTUBE]yUsA4GmwvOU[/YOUTUBE]

Cool video, I enjoy your videos. What size room is your layout in and how long did it take you to get that far?

Thanks again for sharing.
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The basement is 55' x 35'. I started building the benchwork in Jan 2012. Follow the link in my signature for a detailed trip from the beginning of this empire.

Wow that's awesome, I wish I had a space that large dedicated to the hobby. A basement seems like the best way to go, too bad they don't exist in California. I'll check out the build link, thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice layout but you could put a little speed on that train. They are waiting for the grain to make more twinkies.

I hear ya Ken. I was just messin' with ya 'cause I'm running out of Twinkies. However the railroad speed is one of my pet peeves. I just don't understand why our RR's can't make better time? I see tracks in videos that wind around back and forth through apparently flat, wide open spaces like in the deserts out West. Then here comes a train a mile and a half long with five locos pushing and pulling and the thing is going 35mph maybe when it looks like it could be doing 60 with no problem. Why all the twists and turns and slow speed? Why didn't the track go straight across the desert instead of curving all over the place? Curves slow things down and put lots of wear on the wheels and the locos. Maybe somebody can explain all that to me some time. Pete

If ya ever get the chance to chase trains out in the great south west, you will see how the landscape is mostly sloping. The trains can't go directly up or down the grades so they have to follow a more gradual path down the lays of the land. This action will put the tracks on a zig-zag pattern across the desert. There are some places, i.e. west of Kingman, AZ where the BNSF lines go strait as an arrow for miles with more of a roller coaster rise and drop over minor terrain deviations.

Just thinking about a comment made by Warren Buffet about railroads. "It takes a tank car five days to get across the country which gives it an average speed of 5 miles per hour". That's not really very fast. Pete

Just thinking about a comment made by Warren Buffet about railroads. "It takes a tank car five days to get across the country which gives it an average speed of 5 miles per hour". That's not really very fast. Pete

key point is "average". The expedited trains get their goods across country in just two days. Usually tank cars aren't a priority.

Great video!

The only thing better would have been 100 ton hoppers loaded with coal behind some Chessie power.

Thanks for sharing the video!

Great video!

The only thing better would have been 100 ton hoppers loaded with coal behind some Chessie power.

Go to my youtube page, EasternSP Rails and you will find quite a few videos of various trains on this layout.

Great video!

Go to my youtube page, EasternSP Rails and you will find quite a few videos of various trains on this layout.

Back