Greetings

L&NFan

Old Reliable
Hello everyone. I am new, once again to the model train hobby. I grew up loving trains and living near railroads most of my younger days, I loved train watching back then. Now my son is absolutely bonkers over trains and is soon to get a new Lionel from his grandmother. He has also been buggin me about getting my old trains from back in the 70s, which I need to get from my mom's basement and restore. Back in my early teens I got on a painting kick and painted the entire train set I had.
Is there anything I can use to safely remove the model paint?
Also does anyone know where I can find decals for L&N trains.

We around here reccomend 3 products for removal.

90%+ Isopropyl Alcohol
Original Scent Pine-sol
Polly Scale (?) EZ lift-off

The last one I've never used so I might have got the manufacturer incorrect.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum!

If you're looking for L&N decals, it depends on what particular era you want to model. Microscale produces a broad line of L&N, and you can order directly from them. They have plenty of their 'late' gray-and-yellow decal sets available, but their early (pre-1970 grey&yellow) sets are out of stock. Here's their website: http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=LN

However, some hobbyshops in areas served by the former L&N may still have some of the ones that Microscale doesn't - you might want to check with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard. Given the amount of time the paint has set and what I assume is the thicknes of the paint, I suspect it's going to be nearly impossible to only remove the paint you put on and not also remove the original paint. I think your best chance would be the 91% alcohol. Soak for about 15 minutes and then scrub lightly with on old toothbrush. Repeat until you can see the original paint and then try removing more of the later paint with just the toothbrush and alcohol. You'll probably end up with a sorry looking mess that will need repainting anyway but it's worth a try.

Thanks Jim. If it removes the old original scheme then I will just have to paint it up like a good ole L&N train. But at this point anything would look better than the old camo paint job I put on it years ago. :D

Back