Greetings

Grizzled

Ahh, where to start? Maybe in the beginning, in a different world, long ago. I think I was always infatuated with trains, most especially steam-from a very early age. My first "model" train, hands on experience, was with the pastor's son and his American Flyer set that I got to play with every Sunday, probably starting in 1954. My parents were a little stingy on toy funds but a couple years later I did manage to buy an used, early Marx tin plate set for $5 from a neighbor. There was never anything of a layout with that but it sufficed for several years. I suppose typical of the late 50's, early 60's, the next step was a dive into HO and that did spawn a layout in my parent's basement. Typical of the era, the layout was initially populated with the usual off-the-shelf rolling stock, including Athearn, MDC, Varney, and Revell. All was well until the March 1962 issue of Model Railroader hit the mailbox and the piece on Little River's #126. Down the logging rabbit hole I went, never to re-emerge.

Fast forward to the present. A couple of weeks back I dug about half of my modeling accumulation out of it's 23 year slumber. It was packed away when we moved to the current residence which was no where near completion. Between working on the house and my other favorite past time (1955 Willys CJ 3B) there just wasn't enough incentive to get back into the modeling. The house, which remains more than a bit unfinished but completely comfortable, is at a point I don't plan to spend much more time on it. The CJ 3B was also completed last summer after spending 9 years in the garage, the caveat being-like a layout-it will never be truly finished.

My current plans are first to get a "shop" set up to work from and then finish several locomotive projects that were stalled with the move. Perhaps fittingly one of those is a rehab on a basket case 1962 Akane model of Little River 126. I have two of the later Gem versions and the OL version but could never bring myself to remodel those. This one will end up as the last reincarnation of 126, Deep River 7 (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Deep_River_Logging_-7_"Skookum"_as_of_March_2019.jpg)

After my 23 year hiatus, it was refreshing to see most of the products I used to indulge in are still available, maybe the exception being paint.

My brother (white shirt) and I looking at a NP pile up just east of Springdale, MT, 1957.
53352056715_ceecdaeb48_b.jpg

Ahh, where to start? Maybe in the beginning, in a different world, long ago. I think I was always infatuated with trains, most especially steam-from a very early age. My first "model" train, hands on experience, was with the pastor's son and his American Flyer set that I got to play with every Sunday, probably starting in 1954. My parents were a little stingy on toy funds but a couple years later I did manage to buy an used, early Marx tin plate set for $5 from a neighbor. There was never anything of a layout with that but it sufficed for several years. I suppose typical of the late 50's, early 60's, the next step was a dive into HO and that did spawn a layout in my parent's basement. Typical of the era, the layout was initially populated with the usual off-the-shelf rolling stock, including Athearn, MDC, Varney, and Revell. All was well until the March 1962 issue of Model Railroader hit the mailbox and the piece on Little River's #126. Down the logging rabbit hole I went, never to re-emerge.

Fast forward to the present. A couple of weeks back I dug about half of my modeling accumulation out of it's 23 year slumber. It was packed away when we moved to the current residence which was no where near completion. Between working on the house and my other favorite past time (1955 Willys CJ 3B) there just wasn't enough incentive to get back into the modeling. The house, which remains more than a bit unfinished but completely comfortable, is at a point I don't plan to spend much more time on it. The CJ 3B was also completed last summer after spending 9 years in the garage, the caveat being-like a layout-it will never be truly finished.

My current plans are first to get a "shop" set up to work from and then finish several locomotive projects that were stalled with the move. Perhaps fittingly one of those is a rehab on a basket case 1962 Akane model of Little River 126. I have two of the later Gem versions and the OL version but could never bring myself to remodel those. This one will end up as the last reincarnation of 126, Deep River 7 (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Deep_River_Logging_-7_"Skookum"_as_of_March_2019.jpg)

After my 23 year hiatus, it was refreshing to see most of the products I used to indulge in are still available, maybe the exception being paint.

My brother (white shirt) and I looking at a NP pile up just east of Springdale, MT, 1957.
53352056715_ceecdaeb48_b.jpg
Welcome Griz:
Ya didn't say where you are currently from - the NP pix is Montana AND Grizzled kinda relates to Missoula- still in Montana? In any event, tell us about your trials and tribulations of getting back into the real hobby;); with lots of pix.

Later

Last edited:
Welcome Griz:
Ya didn't say where you are currently from - the NP pix is Montana AND Grizzled kinda relates to Missoula- still in Montana? In any event, tell us about your trials and tribulations of getting back into the real hobby;); with lots of pix.

Later
Missoula? No. Montana, yes. I am sort of embarrassed these days to tell people I have a Bozeman address but my wife and I, along with 3 canines, live on a ranch my grandmother bought 95 years ago about 10 miles north of town. It's right up against the Bridger's and about the only native critter we have yet to see on the place is a grizz but I suspect that is just a matter of time as they are in the area.

I'm not sure about trials and tribulations at this point other than setting up the "mini" workshop. I have a real lathe, mill, two drill presses, horizontal and vertical bandsaws, welders, box and pan break, and a lot of other equipment in the farm shop and the larger ENCO mill/drill/lathe combo unit in the garage but other than that ENCO unit, most of that isn't too amenable to model work. I still have my antique Unimat lathe and a precision small drill press that will get moved to the mini shop.

Libby? Worked a summer for the Bureau of Public Roads there. We were surveying for the bridge and new road around the yet to be constructed dam and reservoir. If not for one aspect, a really nice place to live.

Howdy, Griz,
Welcome to the forum. Went hunting a couple of times out of where Big Sky took over. Rest of about three-and-a-half years' time about 55 years ago was spent riding in a blue truck out of Great Falls, keeping the green lights lit on the launch panels in Charlie Russell country. Sounds like you got a lot of potential in that shop of yours!

Howdy, Griz,
Welcome to the forum. Went hunting a couple of times out of where Big Sky took over. Rest of about three-and-a-half years' time about 55 years ago was spent riding in a blue truck out of Great Falls, keeping the green lights lit on the launch panels in Charlie Russell country. Sounds like you got a lot of potential in that shop of yours!
Later that same summer working for the Bureau of Public Roads, I transferred to Conrad and the job there was testing aggregate samples at multiple field labs to make sure it was in spec. That construction was all related to the launch pads.

Back