Greenhorn from WI

Pipestretcher

Greetings,
After 20+ some years of being out of the hobby I've resurrected my old HO equipment and am trying to get back on track. Basically I'm starting over and learning DCC. Therefore I'm attempting a "larger than 4x8" layout in my basement. I'm a contractor (pipefitter) by trade and you would think I'd be able to plan ahead and then build. But, in this case I want to just start building and see where it goes.

I recently purchased a Bowser GE FDL16 and I'm planning on picking up an NCE starter set as well as a decoder for it at the Madison train show this weekend.

If anyone has any suggestion for me to get going fairly quickly, including what to look for and what to stay away from at the show, they are greatly appreciated!

I look forward to participating and learning from you veterans. Maybe I can even lend a suggestion here and there!

Bryan

in this case I want to just start building and see where it goes.

Welcome aboard Bryan! Best advice I have is to catch your breath and relax.
Building a model railroad is a rewarding experience with many facets to the hobby and the best way to enjoy what your doing is to go slow, plan and see what you like to do. Try laying some temporary trackage to get a train or two rolling, build a diorama to learn about scenery and painting while doing track ballast work. Buy some books on benchwork building, wiring, track laying and so on. Nobody ever plans on failure, they just failed to plan. :D

Yes buy some books, subscribe to Model Railroader mag, research online.

NCE is a great system for beginners.

Figure out what kind of layout you want. Mainline running with scenery, a switching layout with lots of industries, a big yard, etc.

You don't have to go that slow though, don't be afraid. It can always be modified or rebuilt. The main thing is get some bechwork up and track laid down, get trains running.

I was a newbie just over 2 years ago, and I went with a full blown 12x15 sized layout. Now I'm building an additional extension room 10x10.

Good luck on your endeavor, just ask questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Bryan, stop by the Toy Train Barn American Flyer display and say hello, ask for me, Johnny, I'll be working there for my friend who owns the barn.

Johnny

Beyond Model Railroader, go to this site. It's an incredibly good online magazine and it's free. It has many back issues as well.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/

Beyond that I think you have gotten as good advice from others as you would ever get from me.

Welcome to the board!

Welcome to the forum Bryan. And Pete V, thanks for that link. Incredibly good is an understatement.
It's just amazing that it operates so much under the radar. They had a booth at the Big E and I just walked on past it! It is just quality in every way imaginable. I also love the 30 page articles. They just don't skim the surface.

Back