Great Northern and Great Lakes???

troyphoto

Snarky Old Fart (in training)
Greetings - and questions:

I'm searching for historical references/inspirations.

My layout will be Great Northern - FREELANCE - based in the transition era. But I'd like to find some actual areas for inspiration, and my Google-Fu isn't leading to much that's helpful.

I'm looking for areas in the great lakes regions where branch lines might have hit a port for some shipping action. I've been poking around Duluth MN (on Lake Superior) but would consider other areas. It's freelance after all.

Areas and industry I am considering for the layout because I want to model them include:
Dock and shipping
Logging
Stone cutting/Gravel work (homage to wife's family)
Mountainous, and rural areas

I've thought about hitting the other end, Seattle, and such, but haven't really paid much attention there.

Any idea on source material for locations that I can use?

Well, the Great Lakes are pretty far from the mountains.... So I'd choose one or the other. If you want to do mountains and ships then the Seattle area is your best bet.

Unless you want to completely ignore real geography. :) It's your layout after all.

As far as real GN info, most docks would be in the Duluth/Silver Bay/etc area up the North Shore of Superior where they were mining. Logging would also be up in Northern MN, and in Washington around Seattle.

There are lots of books about the Great Northern - I'd try and start by tracking down copies of Lines West and Lines East. I'm pretty sure there are books about the mining operations, but since that doesn't interest me much I don't know about them. There is also a huge book called The Great Northern Railway written by Wood and published by PFM. I actually have two copies of this book, I should sell one. :)

The Great Northern Historical Society is a great reference too.

Back