Grade Question

V&AL

Fred's Loco Shop Foreman
I am trying to determine if a sub-level staging yard will be practical for my N scale layout. I have a 4'X8' layout consisting of 4 2'X4' sections. I would like to make the drop without having to cut into the structure of the modules. To clear double stacks, and the module structural components I would have to drop about 5-6 inches in 3 to 4 feet. Is there a formula to help me figgure the grade? also once I figgure the grade, how will I be able to determine if it is feaseable?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Grade is figured as Rise/Run times 100......in your case 6 inches over 48 inches equals .125......times 100 equals 12.5 % grade......in otherwords, no way!! To get down to a somewhat reasonable 3% (2 would be even better) you can work backwords......rise / grade equals run. For you: 6 / .03 = 200 inches. For 2% you'd need 300 inches, or 25 ft.!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Dave, good explanation. For anyone else reading this, the way you calculate grades does not change with scale. It's still the same formula and you'll still need the same amount of space to get a reasonable grade. This question seems to come up all the time. I wonder if we can make it a sticky?

Back