From Planes to Trains

bgfireman

Well I'm a flyer switching to trains. I have been flying for about five years, but it has gotten to be to expensive when you crash. Another good thing is my youngest daughter likes them unlike planes. So we are going to join the local club. We bought our first engine on the net this week also. it is a GP 40 with DCC from the factory. I look forward to learning here.
Alan

Congratulations on your new hobby! This is a great place to read, learn, and ask questions. There is a wealth of knowledge here coupled with a lot of helpful friendly railroaders!

Interesting post because back in January I received a R/C plane as a birthday present. I have been a lifelong railroader (HO Scale), but have recently developed an interest in R/C planes. The weather has been no so good (winter in the Midwest) so I have not flown yet, but I have a lot of simulator time. I am hoping get out soon!

Again, congratulations on the new hobby and what is even more exciting is that your daughter is involved too!

super cub

Congratulations on your new hobby! This is a great place to read, learn, and ask questions. There is a wealth of knowledge here coupled with a lot of helpful friendly railroaders!

Interesting post because back in January I received a R/C plane as a birthday present. I have been a lifelong railroader (HO Scale), but have recently developed an interest in R/C planes. The weather has been no so good (winter in the Midwest) so I have not flown yet, but I have a lot of simulator time. I am hoping get out soon!

Again, congratulations on the new hobby and what is even more exciting is that your daughter is involved too!

If you can fly on the sim. You will do fine. I would suggest joining a club. That makes it a little more fun. I have had HO scale trains before, so this in nothing new. Just have to collect some trains now and sell some planes. Do to limited space at home we may go N scale here at home for fun.
Alan

planes

The orange plane is a Ryan's Rebel built from plans. I cut out all the parts and everything for it. The white and yellow one is a Sig fourstar 120 kit I built.
Alan

Welcome, I was a longtime RC flier myself. Got very tired of the people in the club so I went to building airplanes for other people, even several ducted fans and turbines, then went strictly to trains.
Doug

I understan about the club member thing. My club is having a war of words right now over a port a john. Anyway I hope that building train layouts is as much fun as building airplanes was.
Alan

I understan about the club member thing. My club is having a war of words right now over a port a john. Anyway I hope that building train layouts is as much fun as building airplanes was.
Alan
We tried porta johns at our flying club when I was vice president, the first one lasted a week. One night someone drug it down the road with a truck. The next day we hauled it back and that night they burned it to the ground. They brought us another one that did not make it thru the night, they blew it up, method unknown. After that they would only rent us one for events when they could drop it off and pick it up the same day.

I flew R/C planes for 20 years and finally lost interest. After they sat for about 3 years I sold everything. It can be expensive when they crash especially if they are big with big motors in them. Then again, most any hobby can get expensive. Try having a thing for fast cars and "open road racing" - another hobby of mine. :D

Now whenever I go to a train show, my wife reminds me that I already have alot of locomotives and rolling stock. Oh well.
;)

Wecolme,
about thirty years ago I was trying to decide which one to get into, trains or planes. Price was a factor but I figured I could work on trains anytime and wasn't at the weather's mercy. Nowdays you certainly can spend enough on trains too! but you don't have to, to have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now whenever I go to a train show, my wife reminds me that I already have alot of locomotives and rolling stock. Oh well.

LOL! Went to a train show yesterday with a t-track display. Vender right behind set-up all N-scale for sale. Kato, Atlas, Micro-trains. :rolleyes: :D :D The Wife knew that I was picking up 2 SD-50"s from last week from someone else. She didn't know about the other 5 I got yesterday until I walked into house. ;) When I told her I had been a bad boy and had bought these other engines too, she said..."That's ok Baby..you work hard. You deserve them!!!" :D:D:D On the ohter hand, she owns all the DCC engines we have and one of the SD50's was for her.

Dspsd40t2left.gif
Dspsd40t2right.gif
Dspsd40t2right.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif
hersrud86auto-n_ssw1.gif

Back