Flextrack

I need to lay a curve with flextrack that's longer than 36 inches. I was curious how to go about that. Should I connect the 2 sections and then make the curve or make most of the curve and then put the second section on? I guess I am mostly curious if the track will curve after I put a second piece on it. Should I remove ties to make it work and then add them back in?

I'd make 2/3 of the curve, let the last 1/3 straighten out, attach the 2nd yard section, then continue on with the curve.

Removing ties is an option you have, and when the track flexes there will be ties with the nail detail in the way, you can cut them out, or just trim out the offending nail detail.

If you use ME flex track you can make the whole curve then attach the next piece, if you'd like, as ME is stiff enough to hold its shape.

Ideally I want to cut my track to length and then spot it on the layout by measuring against the xtrackcad file. Does anyone know if the extrackcad measurements are centerline?

Not sure, but my 1:1 printout matches the 22" radius of Atlas track (I.E. a flex track 22" radius turn in Xtrkcad = a 22" section Atlas).

Maybe what I should do is print it out all 1:1 and lay it all out on top of the paper first? This is my first layout (in like 15 years) and I don't want to screw up the first step!

Using 1:1 means you have to have a bullet proof digital plan! And allot of ink, I used up 81 pages, and 1/4 of my black printing gray scale "fast economical" on my HP printer.

But yes, printing it is nice, as you can lay it out and then lay the track out to match.

I'm having some trouble working with this Peco flextrack. I can't seem to get it in the right place at the right time. It doesn't have the tack holes in the center so I'm trying to use modified push pins to hold things in place. It's frustrating to say the least. The track keeps trying to straighten on my curve which makes things flex all over the place. Anyone have any hints or tips? I am not attaching it permanently at this time, just trying to get all the pieces the right lengths and in the right places.

Back