Famous Model Railroaders

River Run

Diesel Detailer
I've been reading model railroad magazines since they cost 50 cents. I've often wondered now since we have this wonderful invention called the world wide web, why these famous model railroaders don't visit and talk on message boards like this. You all know who I'm talking about, right? The guys on the Alan Keller Videos and model railroad magazines? Is it because they feel they have Celebrity Status? I've been on the web for 12 years now, and this is the one Nagging question that keeps coming to mind. Why not come onto a Model Railroading Forum like this one and share what they know? For example, type in Alan McClelland's Virginian & Ohio in a search...not much comes up...why? David Barrow, Lou Sassi, there are a lot, but I've never seen a post by one of them in 12 years on a model railroad forum...why? If I was one of those model railroaders that have my layout in magazines or on videos I would still be who I am and share my stories with everyone. I belong to the NKP Yahoo Group, and have exchanged info with Tony Koester, and he is a regular poster and a wonderful person to meet. I'm not trying to shake the trees here or cause controversy, I just want to know...why?...why do they keep to themselves?

I'm not sure, but I bet a number of them are, but with all the websites out there...

Andy Sperandeo, I'm sure you know what name, frequently posts to the up_modelers group on yahoo. Eric Brooman has been known to no post on the internet, though he has recently sold some stuff on eBay, racking up quite allot of money.

It's also possible that some of these fellows are posting under a different screen name. I can see how someone like Lou Sassi would be flooded with PM's and a never ending stream of questions asking for advice. A lot of these guys actually make their living from model railroading and don't have several hours a day to spend on forums like some of us retired old geezers. :)

It's also possible that some of these fellows are posting under a different screen name. I can see how someone like Lou Sassi would be flooded with PM's and a never ending stream of questions asking for advice. A lot of these guys actually make their living from model railroading and don't have several hours a day to spend on forums like some of us retired old geezers. :)

Who you callin a geezer? :D Cm'on over here where I can see ya so I can smack ya with my cane....where's my teeth? :p

Who you callin a geezer? :D Cm'on over here where I can see ya so I can smack ya with my cane....where's my teeth? :p
Reminds me of a ol' Herman cartoon where his cat is setting at the foot of the bed with a huge grin and his wife is shaking him and saying"""''HERMAN WAKE UP ......THE CAT'S GOT YOUR TEETH""" :D

Have to settle for the infamous model railroaders, I guess?
I believe some do post with a screen name... who knows, I could be one.

Signed by a semi retired, semi old geezer who can't quite make out the road names on those dang Z scale cars but just 'cause I can't see 'em don't mean they don't exist!

"but just 'cause I can't see 'em don't mean they don't exist!"

Kinda like the old 'Artesians' beer commercials....

Make a Comment

I'm sure there are a lot of Model railroaders right here on the Forum that are famous & we just don't know it. I've been in many newspapers w/my train layout & all of my metal sculptures, but, I don't go around telling everyone about it. All my friends that visit my trainroom & people that have bought art from me for the past 35 years know me as a guy that likes to do things w/out a lot of Fanfare.
I'm sure that these famous people that are always in the RR mags don't have time to get on a Forum like this Old Geezer that's partially retired. The Old Geezer I'm talking about is me. I spend almost 40 hrs. a week in my train room weather permitting. Like a few have said on this topic that they just don't have a lot of xtra time to spare.
I built a large layout for a friend that took me a long year to finish. At that time I didn't have time to spend even 15 minutes a day on the PC. I was working by myself every weekend & working a 40 hr. job during the week & working about 8 hrs. a week on my own layout in the evenings.
Time is Money for proffesional model railroad builders. I'm not that much a proffesional, but, I've been building train layouts since 1961 & the only reason I'm on this forum is to learn from the pro's & we have a lot of PRO's on this forum.
My 3 dollars worth:D

Larry (Old Fart #299)

I've been reading model railroad magazines since they cost 50 cents.QUOTE]

Just re-read this part and had to laugh, with the higher Canuck Buck most places are charging the US price shown on the cover, a substantial differance.
MR now just sends the mags up here without the two prices on the cover, making it still almost twice the price!

I've been reading model railroad magazines since they cost 50 cents.QUOTE]

Just re-read this part and had to laugh, with the higher Canuck Buck most places are charging the US price shown on the cover, a substantial differance.
MR now just sends the mags up here without the two prices on the cover, making it still almost twice the price!

I was thinking that myself, maybe it's the high price of postage....Kalmbach will always have a reason.

I'm sure they probably do post on message boards and yahoo groups it's just that chances are if they used their actual name they would probably get an endless barage of emails, IMs, or private messages asking how do I do this?, How do I do that?, or can I come to see your layout or buy stuff from you? A whole day of that would be enough to drive anyone crazy.

Although I actually do belong to Matt Snell's Conrail Yahoo group and he posts their quite a bit usually about whatever projects he's doing. I actually later found out that he was in MR's Great Model Railroads Magazine and one of Allen Keller's videos. His stuff can also be found at Wes Reminder Online.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back