ECOS ESU Command Station & DIGITRAX DS64 - Track Power Feeds

melcapone

Hi,
I have an ECOS ESU 2.1 Command Station & 2 Digitrax DS64's. Each connected to 4 turnouts.
I understand how to register each turnout on the DS64's but have not done so yet.
What I am not sure about is the ECOS ESU has it's own power supply and so does each DS64.
On the rear of the ECOS ESU is a main-track connector that connects to my Bus feed to provide power to sections of the track.
On the DS64's, there is also a TRKA & TRKB connection that is supposed to, according to the manual, be connected to the track.
My question is:
1. Where is the track supposed to get power from (ESC or DS64's) ? I was led to believe that the ECOS ESU provided track power as you can increase or decrease the voltage on the transformer to suit the setup.
2. Should both ECOS & DS64's be connected to the track at the same time to register my turnouts on the DS64's ?
3. If they are, is it important to make sure the polarities are correct ?
4. I cannot believe that I need to connect power from both ECOS & DS64's to the track at the same time to register the turnouts.

Please can someone put my mind at rest and help me understand the logic of the above.

Thank you.

Mel - I cannot help because I am DC all the way; but welcome aboard our friendly forum. We have many very knowledgeable members here that will offer advice pretty quickly.

The trk connections are an option for power source.
I would recommend not using track power because, if a loco drives against a thrown turnout and shorts the track power, you can't throw the turnout till ya clear the short.

Unfortunately I'm no help either, all my turnouts are controlled by a 12v wall wart and spdt switches, but someone will be along who can give you a clear explanation.

I can tell you my logic after going down similar paths. Too much computer control slows the layout build way down. It caused me to give up 4 or 5 years ago. I never got to the good stuff which I now believe to be the diorama itself. Don't get me wrong, I love electronics, it's been my living for the past 25 years. I'm personally staying away from it and plan to use toggle switches and move on. Once I love my diorama, I may dip my toes in again.

I can tell you my logic after going down similar paths. Too much computer control slows the layout build way down. It caused me to give up 4 or 5 years ago. I never got to the good stuff which I now believe to be the diorama itself. Don't get me wrong, I love electronics, it's been my living for the past 25 years. I'm personally staying away from it and plan to use toggle switches and move on. Once I love my diorama, I may dip my toes in again.
The less electronics on a layout - the less to go wrong, pure and simple. Needless to say, there will be areas where some electronics are needed, ie Point Machines perhaps for those points you can't physically reach - even then though, there are non electronic alternatives that work and don't require a degree in electronic engineering :)

Okay Ken - you've had your self opiniated little rant and have descended to the depths of sarcasm. Well done and congratulations, now, here is a not so subtle hint:

Get back on topic and if the conversation can't remain civil and without insults - it will be locked!

Unless you are on Digitrax and Loconet, you must use track power for the DS64s. I also have the ECoS 2.1 on a Kato n scale layout. I just connect the DS64s (but switching to DS52s as the 64s fail and cannot be replaced) to the track bus. After you program the first DS64 (can I assume that you have already defined your 8 turnouts in the ECoS?) cycle the ECoS power on and off. Do the same with the 2nd DS64 and you should be good to go.

Back