Do I need a 4 or 6 function decoder for a Athearn Genesis SD70 ACe

Smudge617

Quick dumb question, I've fitted a 21 pin 4 function decoder to this, but I have no lights at the rear when in reverse, I can only get headlight and one ditch light to work on F0 and F3 and the other ditch light only works when I press and hold F2, am I correct in thinking I need a 6 function decoder for this loco, not 4

Front headlight, 1, left ditch light, 2, right ditch light, 3, rear headlight, 4.
Depending on how the model is wired, you "can" wire the front headlight and both ditch lights to one function, but they'll all come on when you turn on the front headlight.

Front headlight, 1, left ditch light, 2, right ditch light, 3, rear headlight, 4.
Depending on how the model is wired, you "can" wire the front headlight and both ditch lights to one function, but they'll all come on when you turn on the front headlight.
Front and rear headlight is 0, Right ditch light is 1, and left ditch light 2, which is the problem one, as it won't latch, it only works for as long as I hold F2

I've tried 3 different decoders and all are the same, but my main reason for asking is does anyone know why F2 won't latch, I know it's not my controller, that was my first thought, by no other loco does this, so is F2 not latching correct ?

Check the mapping for what you want each function to do.
Yes, I'll do that, I'll probably work backwards from the decoder diagram and re-map the the ditch light to F1 so they work together, it;s not a big problem, I just wondered why I was having an issue with only one ditch light.

Front and rear headlight is 0, Right ditch light is 1, and left ditch light 2, which is the problem one, as it won't latch, it only works for as long as I hold F2

I've tried 3 different decoders and all are the same, but my main reason for asking is does anyone know why F2 won't latch, I know it's not my controller, that was my first thought, by no other loco does this, so is F2 not latching correct ?

Yes, I'll do that, I'll probably work backwards from the decoder diagram and re-map the the ditch light to F1 so they work together, it;s not a big problem, I just wondered why I was having an issue with only one ditch light.
Were these different brands of decoders you tried?

Maybe email Athearn, and see what their thoughts are?

Could it be something in the main board?
Could be the main board, so is it supposed to be like that, is it something to do with alternate flashing ditch lights at crossings, using F2, hence not latching, something like that.

I'm not emailing them, I'll just remap F2 to F1, so both work at the same time, (I hope)

I was just wondering if F2 was supposed to do that and refuse to latch or not, just so I know if I ever have a "next time"happen.

Could be the main board, so is it supposed to be like that, is it something to do with alternate flashing ditch lights at crossings, using F2, hence not latching, something like that.
Thats was why I suggested emailing them to see if they could explain or have, they seen this issue.

Sounds like you may have a workaround though.

F2 is non-latching on your dcc system, since F2 is the horn function on sound equipped units. There is nothing wrong with the decoders, you will need to remap that function to another key.

F2 is non-latching on your dcc system, since F2 is the horn function on sound equipped units. There is nothing wrong with the decoders, you will need to remap that function to another key.
Re-mapped it to F1 so both ditch lights work together now. :)

Thats was why I suggested emailing them to see if they could explain or have, they seen this issue.

Sounds like you may have a workaround though.
Got a reply from Athearn regarding my enquiry, not really helpful tho.

"Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby.

Our team is not versed with aftermarket decoders and their compatibility to Athearn DCC Ready models.

Please consult the decoder manufacture for further technical support. The decoder may need to be mapped/programmed.

Horizon Hobby"

Got a reply from Athearn regarding my enquiry, not really helpful tho.

"Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby.

Our team is not versed with aftermarket decoders and their compatibility to Athearn DCC Ready models.

Please consult the decoder manufacture for further technical support. The decoder may need to be mapped/programmed.

Horizon Hobby"
Well, I thought maybe they would be of a little more help!

Silly me!🤣

Back