Diesel Engine Lengths

Brakeman Hal

I'm looking for an engine that's somewhere between the size of an SW9 switcher and a GP35. In O-Scale 2-Rail, of course, AND with a Western road name, like SF, UP, or SP. It will be used with an MTH DCS Commander controller.

BTW...what is this loco? It looks like a gp35 .

Thanks,
Hal
920-49151-2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know anything about 2-rail O, so apologies if this isn't what you're looking for, but--

It appears that Norm's O Scale shop has a couple western 2-rail O's on sale, an ATSF GP35, similar to your picture above but a different road number; and an SP U25B. The U25B is slightly longer than a GP35, the full-size version is about three feet longer.

http://www.normsoscale.com/mth-engines/

Good luck.

I don't think phases refers to high or low noses but rather differences in grills, fans, endplates, steps, door arrangements and such. For a certain phase, those details will be the same if it is high or low nose.

To your original question, a prototype SW9 is just over 44 feet and a GP 35 is just over 56 ft. In between there are the family of F units, F7A for example, at about 51 feet. As far as O scale models, some seem to have had some "scaling" done and are shorter than what one would think going off prototype dimensions.

Other common locomotives of the era are the same as the GP35 including the GP7 ,9, 18, 20, and 30. Alco and GE locomotives seem to be longer.

Does "phase II" mean the low cab version?
The Phase designation is a model railroader thing. EMD considers all GP35 as single production model.

However the original GP35 was build on the same frame as a GP30. The phase II had its own thinner sill frame. The easiest distinction is that the fuel tank has a slight taper on either side (can see on far side in the red oval) rather than being flat across the top of the whole thing. The other difference is the raised area directly behind the cab on the roof instead of being flat (green oval) and the grill on the side is corrugated. Many phase II units will have a tapered dome 36" fan between the two 48" on the rear (pink oval). This specific one does not have that feature.
gp35phase2.jpg

Back