Did you know....

Nolaphoto1

Did you know that Athearn, Kato, Bachman, Model Power, and MDC/Roundhouse are all owned by the same mega company? Horizon Hobbies, Inc. is the name. I was looking for a locomotive and looked up MDC RoundHouse because thats one of the manufacturers I can find this one particular model by. Well on their page I saw " subscribe to Athearn News." I thought that was odd. I thought they were two different companies. Then I saw the bottom of the page...

"Copyright © 2005-2007 Roundhouse Trains, a division of Horizon Hobby, Inc. All rights reserved. Contact Us. Be sure to visit Athearn.com"

SO, I went to Horizon Hobby Inc's website and there it is...all of their proprietary brands.

So much for competition being a driving force.

Hummm, Horizon should only own MDC/Roundhouse, and Athearn. They also bought out RPP. Kato, Bachmann, & Model Power are not owned by Horizon, rather they're a dealer for them, as is Walthers.

Its been this way for about 3-4 years now.

Correct, Josh. Nola, you're jumping to conclusions without the facts. Bachmann is owned by Kader Holdings out of China. Kato is owned by Sekisui Kinzoku Co., Ltd out of Japan. Model Power is owned by ATI Model Products, Inc., based in the US. This information is all easily available on the web, which is a good place to check your assumptions before posting them as fact.

Ummmm.....I do believe I identified my source....Horizon Hobbies' own webpage.

Last edited by a moderator:
You confused Horizon Hobbies, a seller of products that include some that they make, as being the manufacturer of all the products they sell. This is demonstrably not true, as I pointed out. Simply do a search in Google for the three companies I posted and you'll see they are not owned by Horizon. There's still plenty of competition in the model railroad field.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back