Decoding A Bachmann John Bull

RMack

I have a Bachmann John Bull I want to convert to DCC. I bought a TCS Z2 decoder to put into the locomotive.

Can anyone give me the best way of installing this decoder into such a small engine? What wires should be connected to which connections?

I have a Bachmann John Bull I want to convert to DCC. I bought a TCS Z2 decoder to put into the locomotive.

Can anyone give me the best way of installing this decoder into such a small engine? What wires should be connected to which connections?
Page 1 of the TCS Z2 manual has a diagram on the right hand side that shows the wiring. Looks like they follow NMRA standards. The orange and grey go to the motor. The black and red go to the track pick ups. I assume the John Bull does not have a working headlight so the blue, white, and yellow wires can be cut off to save space. If you want to make the headlamp working save the white and blue.

The Bachmann site does not have a manual for the John Bull but the motor should look like the photo below (courtesy of Bachmann web site). The grey and orange wires would attach to the two brushes shown either directly or indirectly. The decoder might fit in one of humps of the loco itself. If not there should more than enough space in the tender "house".
00640-3743.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Iron Horseman, for taking the time to find the picture of the motor and giving me directions on how to install.

Haven't had time to install the decoder yet, but will let you know how it turns out.

RMack

Just one thing to add: make sure the motor brushes are isolated from the motor frame, or that the motor frame is isolated from the loco frame. Best way to do this is with a multimeter. if your motor is not isolated from the rail pickups, you'll blow the motor drive when you apply power. This should be in your TCS instructions. Have fun...it's not hard!

I know it has been 11 years since this conversation ended, but it would ba absolutely great if someone could chime back in.

Back