DCC in Bachmann 4-8-4 (N Scale)

ereuter

I just bought a brand new Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern, and am disappointed to find that there is NO space for a decoder inside. The weight fills the entire engine. Has anyone tackled this? Could part of the weight be removed, perhaps? Or should I just send it back and get something else?

I'm finding the lack of information on DCC upgradability to be really frustrating. Why would a manufacturer make a new product that couldn't be easily upgraded? It also has a Rapido coupler!

Ugh.

Thanks,
Eric

sounds like you bought the basic bachmann line. Almost none of those are dcc ready. Further, the basic bachmann line is cheap, I'd avoid it.

Expect to spend $70+ on a DCC ready locomotive brand new.

This should be a lesson ;) If it doesnt' say DCC ready or DCC equipped, expect a tougher time converting.

BTW, you can convert that, if you feel like throwing a wire-in-yourself decoder in the tender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'll probably just send it back. There's no way to get into the tender without cutting a big hole.

This was about $70. I know that the Spectrum stuff is better, but after waiting a month for a backordered 2-8-0, I decided to try something else.

I'm just really having a hard time finding an SP steam engine in stock anywhere. It seems like most of the retailers online are sold out of half the things they say they have. Is this a seasonal thing, or is it typical?

I have a (temporary) circle of track, DCC system, and a bunch of rolling stock. I just want an engine to run!

Thanks,
Eric

I'm guessing the season doesn't help your cause much. I don't blame you on your anxiousness. I've got one good running DCC loco now, another one not-so-good that i'll be selling, and another two without decoders waiting for those to arrive.

My thing is finding a nice switcher (end cab/low hood) for my yard, and because of how my Kato engines run, looks like I'll be buying the Kato NW2 and tossing a decoder in that.

The Bachmann 4-8-4 has recently recieved a new mechanism that is light years beyond the old cardboard box version. The new one has all blackened metal hardware and runs very smoothly. Nothing like the old ones! I have three of the new ones and they run darn near as good as my four Spectrum 2-8-0's. I haven't put a decoder in them yet, but I will be doing that sometime soon. I plan on a tender install and just painting the wires black to resemble the hoses between a loco and tender. I don't know if the motor needs isolated or not, but thats no big deal usually.

Maybe someone else will chime in who's done the install and we'll both learn something!

Back