DC & DCC

bstevenson53

I have a small DC layout and just recently inherited a rather large DCC system,all HO scale, can I run my DC system on the DCC system, if not can I convert one to another? Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't advise running a DC loco on a DCC system, as DCC use AC power to communicate with the decoders, although you can run a DC loco on DCC with the DCC controller in DC mode (using the loco address 0 on the controller, this is still AC power which the controller turns into a flat waveform which mimics DC power) the emphasis is on RUN, do not let any DC loco stand still for more than a minute, you WILL eventually damage the motor.

We would need to see a wiring diagram to properly advise you regarding switching from DC to DCC, or vice versa, but in general terms, it's certainly doable, as I said, a wiring diagram even if hand drawn would be helpful, as well as which DCC and DC system you have

NOTE

You'll need five posts on the forum before you can post photos

I would think best to convert your DC system to DCC by putting decoders in your DC locos. That way you get all the advantages of DCC.

Some DCC systems advertise that they can run DC locos. The idea is to dial in Address '00' and the DC loco will respond to throttle commands when that address is active on the throttle. However, it's like drinking cod liver oil. It is an unpleasant experience. The drivetrain of the DC locos getting DCC current will groan and squeal. That's because the motor is being forced to vibrate back and forth briefly with the alternating current that is DCC. If you let the motors groan and squeal for long without making the locomotives move, the motors will eventually fry. They heat up. So, be warned.

As suggested, it is best to run each type using it's appropriated current type, BUT NEVER.....EVER...AT THE SAME TIME. Use one or the other, and remove the wrong type of locomotive for safety.

I have a small DC layout and just recently inherited a rather large DCC system,all HO scale, can I run my DC system on the DCC system, if not can I convert one to another? Thanks for your help.
By getting a double pole, double throw, center off (DPDTCO) electrical switch, you can run DC power to one side of the switch, and DCC power to the other side of the switch. Then run wires from the center of the switch to the layout. That way, by throwing the toggle, you can run DC locos with the DC power, or else throw the other way for DCC locos with the DCC system, or else simply shut track power off in the center position. As others have pointed out, just don't try and run DC locos with the DCC power, it won't work. The loco(s) will sit there and buzz, then after a while start getting hot and then eventually burn out.

But in the short term (or even long term if you wish), one little electrical switch will let you run one system or the other on the same layout whenever desired. Best of both worlds, really. :)👍

1707103278305.png

Back