Custom N scale buildings

ECU Huey

Hi I’m returning to the hobby after 20 yrs And going with N scale. Are there companies that can take a picture of a building and create an N scale model of it?

Hi I’m returning to the hobby after 20 yrs And going with N scale. Are there companies that can take a picture of a building and create an N scale model of it?
A very belated reply but I have done exactly that in the past.

I create a drawing of the Building in 3d in SketchUp and import the images as textures to use on the model.
I process the images using Sketchup to adjust perspective and the size to fit the scale.
I then edit the images in Paint dot net to touch them up, remove blemishes and add or remove detail.

I then use Sketchup to create the finished Model in 3d and then I unfold it to effectively create a card model that I can have printed on various weights of card to suit the different wall, roof etc. functions.
I then spray the card pieces with Dulcote or equivalent sealer.

Then the fun part of the whole project is building your paper creation and placing it on the layout safe in the knowledge that If you break a part you can just print a new one.

I have structures created that way over 20 years ago that are showing no signs of warpage or fading.

20240512_084438.jpg

Not a great image at I took it on a glass top with the window behind, but two very old structures created that way from one of my first layout attempts.

Cheers
Chris

Back