Cleaning metal out of files

If one has some Muriatic acid handy, it would still be cost-effective to at least give it a try. At least for bigger, expensive files. And anyone that already has Muriatic acid lying around is probably well aware of the necessary safety precautions (or should be, anyway!!!). Storing cleaned, sharpened files in a climate-controlled environment should stave off any rusting for a long time.

For a few, small, cheaper files that could be found at Harbor Freight Tools or the like, you are correct - far easier, safer, and cheaper just to go buy some new ones.
As i said before. gallium eats aluminium and is a lot safer than muriatic/hydrochloric acid. I dont think either are likely to be hanging around on demand in most people's houses, but both can be bought (and a little gallium will last you ages).
I still reccon the mild heating + WD and wire brush aproach is the easiest to try as everyone has heat and WD40 and a wire brush hanging around.. and if you dont then why not! :D

Takes some time and a steady hand, but for those stubborn clumps, I've used the tip of an XActo #11 blade in a #1 handle to gently push out the "valley" the clumps are stuck in. So far for me (knock on wood), it's worked every time. I have a set of small jewelers' files I inherited from a late great aunt who made her own jewelry, and I've got 50+ years of using -- and apparently abusing -- them, and they still work great!

If You can't clean the old files, throw them away.
To prevent new clogging stroke with a lime stick over the file. This eases the cleaning of the files.

Muriatic acid would be a last resort but IT WILL remove the aluminum or cast aluminum by dissolving it. Kinda fun but gotta protect yourself with a respirator designed for chemicals, gloves and goggles. Do this outside. The acid will froth and boil until the aluminum dissolves. Depending upon how much aluminum its eating away, it will also get really hot. It will also strip off the protective costing on the file causing it to rust. Way easier to replace with new unless you are stubborn and wanna win.
Muriatic acid is what I was going to suggest too.

Back