C420 Progress

el3637

My N&W 2578 - nee Nickel Plate 578 - is coming along. Doesn't look like much after something like 5 hours work over 3 nights but... there's not a whole lot of hard stuff left. Well. Maybe.

http://www.gp30.com/models/nw2578/nw2578-001.jpg - replaced cab headlight with a DA 1024 with visors. The stress/cut marks inside the # boards are not going to hurt anything because this will be painted over on the outside.

http://www.gp30.com/models/nw2578/nw2578-002.jpg - inside view shows the trimmed light insert drilled out for the Miniatronics bulbs.

http://www.gp30.com/models/nw2578/nw2578-003.jpg - long hood with headlight replaced with DA standard Pyle. Which is what it had, but the holes were too big.

http://www.gp30.com/models/nw2578/nw2578-004.jpg - inside view of the long hood again with most of the insert chopped off to make drilling out the headlight holes much easier. It still takes a while with an .050 drill and Zona pin vise. But apply much power and the whole thing melts into a blob.

http://www.gp30.com/models/nw2578/nw2578-005.jpg - the low nose has 3 main modifications. 1) Mars light (DA 1007); 2) Dual sand fillers and original center hole plugged. I swiped the second sand fill from another C420; 3) cut out the rectangular "belfry". Bell is a DW styrene frame-mount bell glued to the inside of the nose. A couple pieces of styrene back it up. I had to cut one of the metal nubs off the chassis as well as shave back the worm cover to make sure the truck would clear the inside of the belfry.

http://www.gp30.com/models/nw2578/nw2578-006.jpg - nose on view. I have not yet drilled the Mars light out. The nose wall is thin here so I will glue a chunk of styrene behind it so the bulbs will have a tube to slide into instead of dangling just on a ledge.

http://www.gp30.com/models/nw2578/nw2578-007.jpg - chassis with A6X decoder installed. Notice no resistors - bulbs are grounded to the decoder's 1.5v function output. 6 bulbs all in parallel. Rear bulbs are on "yellow" and controlled by F1. Center (cab) bulbs are on "white" and controlled by F0. Front bulbs are on "purple" and controlled by F2, set as Mars function. Notice that the front of the nose weight has been cut off, and the rear of the nose weight has been cut down horizontally to make room for the rather large decoder. This weight can be made up by stacking some folded sheet lead on top of the decoder - insulated of course. The motor sets fairly low so there is room for maybe 5 layers of thin lead on top and still leave some air space and room to maneuver the wires. Hopefully this time I have enough slack in the wires - I've made the mistake several times of cutting them too short and not being able to get them all into position with the shell off and inverted. In this case I left ALL of the original bulb lead wire, twisted to clean it up a bit. There will be excess wire to squish inside, if it's a problem I'll just leave off the extra weight, or maybe glue a couple strips up under the roof of the long hood out of the way.

Still to deal with: pilot steps... too thick. Need to adapt some etched drop steps too. The pilot footboards I'll have to find somewhere else, the ones that come with the Atlas model are all wrong at least for this prototype. And there's an irregular opening below the draft gear... Atlas nicely reproduced this on their RS11, but not here for some reason.

Andy

What amazes me is how much time it has taken just to do this much. I have never kept track of my time before, and don't really need to - but since I worked on it three nights in a row, I had a pretty good idea how much time was involved. If I stuck the shell together and set it on the drive, from 3 feet away you couldn't even tell I did anything at all! But I've never built models to keep my distance from anyway.

Been more than a year since I finished a diesel... this one: http://www.gp30.com/models/nw1349/nw1349-001.jpg but it has been a productive year in other ways.

I have in the box an SD35, RS11, (2) GP30s, and (2) SD40-2s as well as four SW1200s... at least 2 years in the making, some more like 5 years. I just had a feeling something else would do an end run because I haven't been that motivated on the others. Maybe this C420 is it. I also have the material (mostly) to do a high nose C425, including some of the best photos I've ever gotten hold of courtesy of Warren Calloway. Atlas doing the phase II body helps; so does the Stewart C628/C630 which will donate the cab and nose. I currently have NO Alcos in my Superfleet. Closest thing I have is a fairly nice OOB Atlas RS36 low nose (ex-NKP) but that is second string. I have a couple of "crossovers" which are OOB units that I upgraded without repainting, something I am usually loathe to do with N&W. Two GP30s, one in black hamburger, one in 13dip. I have not decided if they will become Superfleet or not - that may hinge more on their long term mechanical performance than anything.

Andy

Great work and great detail photos of the work too. Kitbashing and detailing diesels always takes way longer than you ever think. I did an NKP torpedo tube GP-9, which entailed a lot less work than you've done and I think it took about six months from start to finish.

Keep us up to date on this one Andy. I have been tardy taking photos of my projects, it's kinda hard to do when you are working on 12 at the same time. Maybe I'll just line them all up and do a family shot. :)

Great work and great detail photos of the work too. Kitbashing and detailing diesels always takes way longer than you ever think. I did an NKP torpedo tube GP-9, which entailed a lot less work than you've done and I think it took about six months from start to finish.

What did you start with? I have a couple of P2K torpedo geeps new in the box for future projects but I don't remember if they are 7s or 9s, or if I have undecs or what. The N&W torpedo units were mixed in with all the other freight units and otherwise unmodified although some did lose their water tanks by the late 70s. N&W (or NKP) basic geeps can be difficult if you really want to get all the subtle details. I did a GP7 #2413 a while back from a Proto. No torpedos, but I did do the skinny fuel tank that is very distinctive. And I have only 1 N&W GP9, out of hundreds... multiple phases and sub phases, ex-NKP multiple variants, ex-WAB multiple variants. The N&W is a lifetime railroad to model...

Andy

Keep us up to date on this one Andy. I have been tardy taking photos of my projects, it's kinda hard to do when you are working on 12 at the same time. Maybe I'll just line them all up and do a family shot. :)

That's easier said than done. That Superfleet roster shot on my web site took probably an hour to set up and I shot probably 2 dozen frames, different lighting angles and f-stops. I chose what I thought was the best one, but I don't think it's all that great. I just didn't have enough light, and you don't want to use a flash for a shot that broad. One thing my D70s does is let me choose DOF and use those AF-Nikkors on a digital body. Even if my 60 shoots as a 90, that's great for close up shots because I can hang back a little and give the light some room.

I'm going to do a little more tonight but not sure what.

Andy

Andy, I'm a camera collector also, and the guys on my message board the Camera Collector would like you. I have over 80 vintage 35mm SLRs, most of them are Pentax or Minolta, and I'm kinda new to this digital thing. I have a fairly new KODAK Easyshare camera that takes pretty decent photos right now and that makes me happy. Like all electonic products, the longevity of their usefullness is iffy, so I don't want to spend much on a digital. In film cameras I could probably take pics of my trains that would surpass digital, but I haven't taken the time to do it yet. I have a picture I took of a lady bug that is so detailed and close up that the little thing looks like a monster from a Godzilla Movie. :) I have a fleet of 14 Front Range Geeps and ATLAS RS-11s of all different phases and models all in Nickel Plate that I built back in the '90s before all the Proto 2000 stuff came out. They are all detailed as HO locomotives got detailed back then, and one thing that's nice about the older Geeps is the detail under the walkways isn't as pronounced as newer geeps are. Back in the days when you had to scratch build everything I did my share. I have scratch built RS-36s and RSD-12s that are just fine for me and at my age I wouldn't want to try to do all of them over again.

For the detail parts, do you have a local store you go to or do you mail order?
Mark

Funny you should ask. When it comes to detail parts, I try to keep everything I think I'm going to need on hand and just go shopping in my own "hobby shop" when I need something. I stock up on these things usually twice a year - once at Original Whistle Stop in Pasadena, and again when I go to Des Plaines Hobbies in Chicago. Browsing the full stock is how I find out about stuff.

However, this time for some reason I didn't have the Mars light on hand. It wasn't something I used in my model building for a long time until I started trying to do these ex-NKP units. I ended up going to Golf Manor Hobbies - catching them as they were locking the doors - for 7 bucks worth of parts, which included 3 packs of Mars lights, 3 packs of Gyralights (you never know) and the frame mounted bell.

I'm also discovering I have zero Alco lift rings on hand. I am not sure about the drop step. If this were an EMD loco, I probably could build the whole thing without leaving my shop.

Cincinnati is down to really two functioning hobby shops. Golf Manor has lots of stuff, particularly detail parts and the like but it's not on display - you have to ask and better yet if you know the part# or can easily locate it in the Walthers catalog. They don't stock much in the way of new-run stuff like Atlas or P2K locos but they will order. I get the feeling that much of their business is Marklin (they are the only dealer in the area). But I've been shopping there off and on for 25 years and spent quite a few bucks, so I don't feel too bad about holding them up 10 minutes for 7 bucks :)

Johnnys Toys is the other remaining shop of note. The train department at the KY store is still thriving but the Greenhills store was abruptly closed at the end of 2007, laying off all but a couple employees that moved to KY. This brought a momentary surge in KY's inventory. Johnny's is a great place to get good prices on popular stuff - they get in all the new runs stuff from Walthers, Atlas, Athearn etc. but are notoriously regional in their stocking unless you special order. Wanna find something in L&N that is long sold out at the factory? Betcha KY Johnnys has 10 of them... marked down. But Santa Fe or SP, what's that?? They don't stock full line on detail parts but they can get 'em. In this case, needing those parts ASAP it was either order from Walthers direct, or go see if Golf Manor had them. In terms of cost it was a wash. I drove my Bronco to work that day, so the trip into town and back easily burned as much as I would have paid for shipping from Walthers... but I got the parts the same day.

The long and the short of it is... I don't have any overt loyalty to any one shop - mail order or otherwise. In any given year, I probably visit 10 to 15 hobby shops in different cities. And I buy from ebay sources when it just seems like the easiest way... or other internet sources I'm familiar with.

In the past year, I've purchased hobby items from:
South Park Hobbies (Middletown OH)
Golf Manor Hobbies (Cincinnati)
Des Plaines Hobbies (Chicago)
Original Whistle Stop (Pasadena)
Happy Hobo (Tampa)
Western Hills Photo & Hobby (Cincinnati)
Johnny's Toys (Cincinnati)
Davis Trains (Cincinnati)
DCC Trains (Cincinnati)
Trackside Hobbies (Cincinnati - now defunct)
Allied Hobbies (Los Angeles)
Ted Schnepf (at Cocoa Beach Show)
Mike Rose (NY)
M.B. Klein (Baltimore)
Gordy's Hobby (Bethel, OH)
Train store in Tehachapi next to Kelcy's (forget it's name this week)

And probably at least a dozen ebay sources.

If I were starting from scratch in the hobby and didn't live in a major city - and by major I mean Chicago or a major coast city - I'd have to learn the ropes from scratch. You have to be a bit of a Ferengi in the hobby these days and know all the Rules of Acquisition:D

Andy

Andy,
I did my torpedo tube Geep probably in 1970 from a BB Athearn GP-9. I totally underestimated the number of changes I'd need to the body and underframe to produce a semi-realistic model. There were so few detail parts on the market then compared to now that you had to make do with what you could build or kitbash. For instance, I kitbashed the air reservoirs from steam engine parts. Removing the dynamic brake blister and getting that aea looking good was a real ball, as I recall. :) At least you don't have to go through all that today. I'm slowly building up my NKP fleet again after being ut of the hobby for 25 years. The torpedo Geep is one of the few things I saves, not because it's so good but because I spent so much time on the darned thing.

I lived in LA in late 60's and 70's and used to do what you did, stock up at Caboose Hobbies every six months or so. Unfortunately, Alabama is pretty much a wasteland when it come to train shops so I have to plan ahead and order all my detail parts on-line.

Andy, I'm a camera collector also, and the guys on my message board the Camera Collector would like you. I have over 80 vintage 35mm SLRs, most of them are Pentax or Minolta

I love cameras of all kinds, unfortunately as pieces of jewelry go they are heavy to wear and a bit expensive to keep on hand!

I went on a camera binge in the early 90s, ended up with a lot of vintage Nikon gear including several Fs, F2, a Leica M3, and my workhorse Nikon F4s and N90. I eventually sold the F2 stuff off - I had accumulated a bunch of cool accessories and had the complete geek kit, all the finders, both chrome and black and all that. I decided to keep my F stuff and unload the F2 stuff for needed cash.

IIRC I currently have 2 F bodies, an FTn (working meter!), a plain prism body, and a waistlever finder. A few old NAI lenses. I also have a seldom-touched very nice F3HP, and some AI-S lenses, and still have my AF film gear, two zooms and 7 or 8 primes all from the AF or AF-D era. My all time favorite lens is the single barrel 80-200/2.8D... before they went to the two-ring design with tripod foot. It is less useful on a digital however, because it's low end is 120 rather than 80.

I went through several cheap digitals - an Olympic (99), a Nikon 990 Coolpix ($$$$), and a Fuji P&S. Of those three, the Coolpix was the biggest most overprice piece of junk I ever owned. It could take a sharp close-up, but most of the time it just hesitated until I lost the shot. I came close to throwing it as hard as I could on the concrete so many times that I decided to ebay it while I could still get some of my money back. Got $800 back on $1200 + tax put out just a couple months earlier for the camera and accessores - buyer was happy (knew what he was getting) and I was happy to get rid of it and glad to have the $800 rather than the satisfaction of slamming the most overpriced utterly useless cheesebox I ever owned onto the asphalt.

I bought the Fuji just because, well I figured if I'm gonna shoot cheap stuff may as well do it with a cheap camera. I used it for ebay stuff and misc. photos and it was ok - it worked better than the Coolpix for casual shooting - by far. Then in 2006 I bought the D70s, and it's a rock & roll camera. I'm glad I sprung for it when I did. It has since been discontinued and with a $600 street price, it was the perfect compromise. The alternative now is the much pricier D80 ($1100) or the cheesy consumer D60, without many of the pro features of the D70s. In fact the D70s is nice enough that I sought to buy a used one for a gift recently but was put off by the fact that well used ones were going for more than I paid for my new one. Leave it to Nikon to discontinue a good thing.

Anyway, now that Nikon has finally put out a true full frame 35mm DSLR, I will eventually have to get one. But I'm not a first-kid-on-the block type especially at the sticker shock these are going for. I liked Canon's full framer but balked at the price... as well as the idea of buying a whole new bunch of lenses. I am not a fan of 10000x zooms. I like things like fast primes - you can only get that wonderful shallow-DOF portrait or action shot by shooting a prime fast lens wide open. But I do look forward to being able to get more miles out of my primes in full frame mode.

The upside of my D70s purchase is that I get far more use out of my 20, 24, and 28mm primes than I did before. I didn't buy the cheapie digital-only package lens with my body so all of my lenses are 12+ years old and optimized for 35mm full frame. I get a lot of use out of my 60 micro, which shoots like a 90 on the D70 - before, I preferred my 105 micro for many model shots because I could hang back far enough to let the natural light flow from the subject. In fact many of my other close-ups got shot with my old F, waistlevel finder, B&W film, and 55/3.5 - still perhaps the sharpest lens of all time. But now that 60 gets used a lot. My 35-70 is of less value, but it's the fat one - 2.8 constant aperture. I take it to family gatherings and thrown out to it's full range on the digital, it's a decent candid portrait lens.

My b&w darkroom stuff is all piled up in the basement. My last house had a small but servicable 5x8' darkroom with counter, double sink, and track lighting. I did have some good times there but never got to give it a "last run" when I moved in 2003. I probably last made prints in 99 or 00. I still have thousands of frames of b&w 35mm - and some still in the can undeveloped.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Back