Bulkhead flatcar loads

gabby

Bob Hayes
Have a couple of Aristo Craft Bulkhead flatcars and want to put some loads on them. Have one with a pipe load and the other one I was going to put a tractor (with bucket) on. Would those sort of things be carted on a bulkhead flat. Any place I can get info on the sort of loads carried.

DirtyD79 thank you. Looks like I'll have to get a couple of flats for the tractors. Don't know what's wrong with the link you provided but it won't come up this end.:confused:

I've also seen steel sheets, aluminum ingots and ties shipped on bulkhead flats. I've also seen pre-fab track pieces on bulkhead flats.

It is unlikely to see a vehicle on a bulkhead flat since it can't be driven on. I'm sure there are some examples out there to disprove that, but as a general rule it would be true.

On BNSF steel slabs were carried on the BN bulkheads & regular ATSF flats from the harbor to CSI in Fontana CA. But hey if it's your RR, haul whatever you want! :)

Thanks for the replys gang. It look like tractors etc are out and some form of flat load is in. Thanks for the link MRLdave I have book marked it.

Back