Bridge Help

Topherisme

Chris wants more hobby time!!!
IMG_1244.jpeg
IMG_1243.jpeg

Need some help from the pros šŸ˜‰
With my Walthers Bridge Track I span the entire length of my 3 combined bridges, Pratt Truss with a deck on both ends, but that includes the end piece that starts the guard trackā€¦. My question is do I cut bridge track just to span the Pratt Truss and ballast over the decks? Or leave as is and just ballast the section on the deck ends that require it (the end piece)?
My first thought was to cut the bridge pieces to size for Pratt Truss, ballast decks, save the 12ā€ bridge track leftovers for my 20ā€ Through Truss on the other side of the layout. Will have to make my own starter pieces, but I think I can handle that. If you got suggestions let me know before I mess this upā€¦

I'm definitely leaving this to our more experienced members, but I'm going to follow this as I have no clue either.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but rail isn't generally separated/jointed simply because it's on a bridge. Usually, guard rails start before the bridge on both ends, though it's not really a rule, just practice.

I think what you're asking is if the ballast should extend from the road bed onto the bridge.
If the bridge has slots between the steel roadbed where ballast can fall through, then no ballast.
For bridges with a solid roadbed then yes because the ballast will stay in place.
On the bridge were you do ballast the tracks, you need a barrier so the ballast does eventually move away from the track from vibration.

The link below is to a video of my Canyon Diablo bridge with ballast contained by wood planks on the outer edge of the wood beam decking.

Last edited:
I think what you're asking is if the ballast should extend from the road bed onto the bridge.
If the bridge has slots between the steel roadbed where ballast can fall through, then no ballast.
For bridges with a solid roadbed then yes because the ballast will stay in place.
On the bridge were you do ballast the tracks, you need a barrier so the ballast does eventually move away from the track from vibration.

The link below is to a video of my Canyon Diablo bridge with ballast contained by wood planks on the outer edge of the wood beam decking.

Out of interest, how long is your Canyon Diablo bridge, and what did you use to construct it ?

Ballast deck bridges have bottoms for obvious reasons, open deck do not if thatā€™s part of your question?
Open deck bridges have more ties and securments and are not usually found over a road but there are exceptions to everything of course.
As for the guard rails they start before the bridge or whatever else they are protecting.
Starting them on the bridge does nothing if a wheel is already off and note that not all deck bridges have them.
Hope that helps?

I'm confused by the syntax as well. BTW, a Pratt truss with superstructure through which the rails pass on a deck ...IS...a 'through' truss. That part confuses me when you state that there's another, apparently, through truss? {"...save the 12ā€ bridge track leftovers for my 20ā€ Through Truss on the other side of the layout..."}

There is no need to cut rails further than what comes from Walthers unless adding one more length is simply far too long, either to look realistic or because there's a curve nearby. The curved butt point of the inner guards normally is situated about 10-40' outside the bridge decking. Then, there are the outer guards which can be placed wherever the plant engineers think they should go, usually about a foot from the edges of the crossties.

If the combination of bridges includes solid decking with ballast, the ballast would terminate at the end of the solid decking, wherever that takes place on the combined structures, and as D&J Ken says, there would be retainers to keep the ballast from being displaced through vibration and flexure...otherwise why have it?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but rail isn't generally separated/jointed simply because it's on a bridge. Usually, guard rails start before the bridge on both ends, though it's not really a rule, just practice.
Yeah, guess my problem was spending another $75 for another set of bridge tracks šŸ™„ I ended up cutting the bridge track section to fit only the Pratt Truss, deck bridges will be ballasted. Thought about putting the guard start piece just ahead of the deck bridge, but itā€™s still slightly curved and the straightness of the piece throws everything out of whack. Hopefully it looks alright with the starter piece at the end of the deck right before Pratt Trussā€¦

Back