Barrett Hill Touch Pad

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I bought this Barrett Hill Touch Pad components at a Timonium train show a couple years ago. They sat on the shelf in my basement since then, taking the back burner to other projects and life events. Finally, yesterday I got ambitious and pulled the parts packages out and began reading the instructions. Looked pretty simple. Basically the touch pad replaces the momentary push button that I had at each turnout. The leads from the touch pad connect into the Barrett Hill Translator. The two wires that previously ran from my SE8C to the push button now run to the connectors along the top edge of the Translator. I labeled the turnout number on the face of the translator.

Translator.jpg

The Touch Pad was pretty simple to install. Just removed the push button and glued the touch pad in place with a weight on it till the glue dried. I'll build the scenery material up around the wires in a few days.
The benefit of this system is it eliminates the double bump that may occur with the momentary push button. I've experienced this on occasion. I push the button to throw a turnout then run the train across it only to find the button toggle the turnout twice and it went back to its previous state.
The kit included 8 extension cables for touch pads that may be more than a couple feet from the translator. A couple of my turnouts were about 20 feet from this translator, so I just cut the extension cable and spliced in my own extension wires. Nothing complex about it. Just added the heat shrink tubing over the solder splices and threaded the whole cable through the benchwork to the translator.
The kit includes the translator, a 5v power supply, 8 touch pads and 8 extension cables.

Touch Pad.jpg

Back