ATHERN GP38-2 Locomotive?? #79973

jetdriver

This one is offered on ebay and is the Atlanta and St. Andrews Bay Line livery, which is one that I am very interested in however this is the only loc offered. Any experience with this one and can I add Dcc to it down the road?? Can it pull about 5 to 6 box cars?

Tks for any info!

If it's the ready-to-run version that it's the same one I have. It runs and pulls very well. Mine will easily pull 20 cars on level track.

The downside is that it's NOT very well detailed so you'll have to buy and add a detailing kit if that's important to you. You can add DCC but it does not come with a plug and play board so you have to mount and solder the wires in the right place. You can also get rid of the crew-frying headlight at the same time and add directional lighting.

As long as you're not paying more than about $30, you're getting a reasonable deal. Over that price, there are other locomotives with better detail that either already have DCC installed or have the DCC plug and board installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a bunch Jim, I appreciate the quick response! Yea its listed for about 39 bucks so I have a decision to make! ;)

Now that I corrected all the typos in my original message, I hope i'ts more understandable. The Atheran GP38-2 is not well detailed, as in there are no grab irons, lifting rings, MU stands, or drop steps supplied with the model. Bachman has a number of diesels in the $40 proce range that run well, are nicely detailed, and already have DCC installed. I have a GP-30 and GP-35 and have been well satisfied with both of them.

I agree with Jim. The RTR GP38-2 I have is a let down. All it is (to me), is a Bluebox unit, with plastic handrails. The bugger didn't even have mini-bulbs, it still has the crappy in cab light. If its fairly cheap, (Under $50) then it will be semi-worth it. It'll take DCC like any old Bluebox, as, well it is a Bluebox.

If you're looking for a GP38-2 specifically, check out Proto 2000, or Atlas Trainman ones. I can't vouch for the quality of the Trainman though the P2K's are awesome.

Athearn's RTR GP35 is a much better offering then the GP38-2, also...

Of the GP38-2's that are available, the Proto 2000 one is the best. The detail is excellent and the drive is very nice. Apparently some of them have electrical problems, but none of mine have had any problems.

The Atlas Trainman model has a great drive system, but the fine details like grab irons are missing. For the price, it is a great deal, and all the grab irons are marked, so drilling and adding your own is easy.

The Athearn RTR model is like the Trainman one, no finer details, but the shell is not as nice and neither is the drive.

If cost is the main factor, I'd get a Trainman GP38-2, but if the cost of the Proto isn't an issue, it is the more detailled model.

Thanks a bunch guys! I really appreciate the great info! You guys mentioned some alternatives, like the bachmann with dcc already, for around 40 bucks. Any recommendations on a good place to purchase online or are you guys ordering them directly from the manufacturer?

Thanks again for your time guys!

You'll almost always find good deals on Bachmann DCC equipped locomotives on e-bay. Just make sure they are the Bachmann Spectrum line and it states clearly that the DCC is already installed. There are earlier models of Bachmann locomotives out there that aren't much bettter than junk. If you prefer to deal with an on-line dealer direct, you can get a DCC equipped GP-40 like the one at http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/bac/bac60309.htm for $44 plus shipping.

Jim, like you I have no problem with Bachmann Spectrum engines. I have a few. How detailed is that new GP-40?...I haven't seen any good close up pictures of it yet. I have a bunch of the old ATLAS/ROCO GPs.

Ditto here I have a number of Bachman Spectrums and I 'm very satisfied withthem They run quiet and pull great. I also like the Protos too. If you are astute on Ebay you can pick up some very good deals from Ebay Stores .

Randy, the GP-40 has a level of detail comparable to the GP-35, if you are familiar with that model. It has separate grabs, really nice truck details and near scale size handrails. It doesn't have some other niceties like a drop steps, lift rings, or MU stands but it's a nice looking, good running locomotive, and you can't beat the price.

Back